cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwistar

Help using Canvabadges?

Jump to solution

I'm possibly interested in using Canvabadges here on my school's Canvas instance, but when I went to website (Canvabadges), there was no obvious link to contact the developer. I have some questions that I need to get answered. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with the developers of Canvabadges?

Thanks!

Roger

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Thanks  @kona ​!! I love the canvabadges​ platform for gamification and delivering course badges in Canvas. The course I designed was made with teachers in mind with the hope that I could walk any teacher who wanted to use badges in their Canvas courses through the process successfully. If you have any questions, rwistar​, please let me know.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
James_Kocher_UF
Community Champion

Brian Whitmer, one of the co-founders of canvas, created them.  You can get more info here:  Edu App Center

He's very accessable on twitter Brian Whitmer (@whitmer) | Twitter

James

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Roger, another option is to try the free Badges for Learning course by  @jward ​. It literally takes you step-by-step how to set up and use canvabadges in a straight-forward and easy to understand manner. The best part? If you have questions you can always ask Jared! 🙂

Hope this helps!

Thanks  @kona ​!! I love the canvabadges​ platform for gamification and delivering course badges in Canvas. The course I designed was made with teachers in mind with the hope that I could walk any teacher who wanted to use badges in their Canvas courses through the process successfully. If you have any questions, rwistar​, please let me know.

rledda
Community Champion

Hello to everyone,

I hope you can help me. I manage to set up badges in the different modules and students are able to earn them. However, my problem is that I'm not able to make them visible in the users profile.

I have a dummy student to do some tests. This students has earned the badge and I have selected to show badges in its profile but nothing happens.

I know the theory part, my problem is in the execution. So according to this website I have to include in my global CSS the following code https://www.canvabadges.org/canvas_profile_badges.js

I've downloaded the .js file and uploaded to my server. I have informed the url in the "Global JavaScript URL:" but nothing happens. So I believe I missed one step here. Any step by step for dummies for this part?

Thanks in advance.

Rosalie

jared_flaherty
Community Contributor

HI!

I'm having the same experience Rosalie....   per chance to find out the step by step for dummies on this one?   

0 Kudos

@rledda ​ and  @jared_flaherty ​, I am working on the step by step "for dummies" instructions for this part of the Canvabadges training I am holding in a couple of weeks. As soon as I have that polished up, I'll share it here, too. In the mean time, I'd love to help you get this up and running at your schools. Send me a message with your instance of Canvas (here in the Community or by email: jward@instructure.com) and I'll gladly take a look at it and see what I can figure out.

-Jared.

jared_flaherty
Community Contributor

Awesome Jared!     Thanks!    I am at Park University,   park.instructure.com

I think we have canvabadges setup a-ok, except for viewing badges on other users' profiles....

Thanks!!!!! 

jared

0 Kudos
rledda
Community Champion

Thanks a lot Jared, my instance is skillsalliance.instructure.com

I think and I are in the same situation. We managed to do all the steps except for that we are not able to succeed to make badges available in the user's profile.

Rosalie 🙂

Could I add my name to the list.  We are Republic Schools. https://republicschools.instructure.com/

I am an admin for our Canvas instance.  I also am trying to get badges working. We've got the key and code, but are having trouble with the last steps.  Thank you!!!

https:///

Hey Stephanie,

I'll take a look. and be in touch.

Jared

Hey Stephanie,

You aren't by chance trying to test Canvabadges while logged is as an admin are you?  That is a mistake I made, then forgot about, and then made again...  Smiley Happy

Hey  @stephanie_long ​ and  @rledda ​, I recommend replacing your current JavaScript file with the link found on the Canvabadges.org website: https://www.canvabadges.org/canvas_profile_badges.js

Once you change that file, it will take a few minutes (sometimes longer - I usually let it cook overnight) for the changes in the code to render on your site. That usually fixes this issue. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Jared.

rledda
Community Champion

Hi @Jared Ward Jared Ward

Thanks for the input, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.  Here are the steps I took. Maybe I'm missing something?

1. I go to https://www.canvabadges.org/canvas_profile_badges.js
  2. I copy the code in a notepad document
  3. I save the document
  4. I change the extension to .js
  5. I upload the document to my server
  6. I go to my account > settings > settings >  Global JavaScript and CSS includes > Global JavaScript URL > Here I put the whole url of my doc: https://[myserver]/canvas_profile_badges.js

I did the verifications  with studens who:

• have been awarded with a badge
  • have clicked on "show badge in my profile"

I did this on Thursday and nothing has changed. :`-(

Any ideas?

Rosalie

rledda
Community Champion

Hello everyone!

I just want to inform you that... I MADE IT!!! I was able to make the badges appear to the users profile... hurray!!! This is how I did it:

1. I go to my account > settings > settings >  Global JavaScript and CSS includes > Global JavaScript URL > Here I put the whole url of my doc: https://[myserver]/canvas_profile_badges.js https://www.canvabadges.org/canvas_profile_badges.js

And voilà !

The only thing is that the only person who can see the badges is the user itself. I mean when he/she checks his/her profile the badges earned are below to the "links" section of his/her profile. However, if a colleague click on "People" > and click on the students name the information shown is only the bio and student links. No badges are show there. Is that correct @Jared Ward?

Thanks!

Rosalie

Hello  @rledda  ,

We are new to canvas. I have installed canvabadges in our system. But i am unable to see badges on user profile.You have given a very detailed version of what needs to be done but apparently i still dont see GlobalJavascript Or css include option in my settings.

i have all the admin right, yet i still dont see that option.Am i missing up on something. I found out that we could include a file within themes. But i am guessing copying the contents in a notepad and uploading that in the themes section doesnt solve our problem.

Thanks in advance:)

Anum

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hey Rodger,

Keep an eye out for another round of the awesome course Jared Ward created, this time tied to CanvasLIVEand Canvas Community badging. 

SD

tara_plouff

Hello,

I would absolutely LOVE to use CanvaBadges for my upcoming summer course, but it just says "Invalid tool launch - unknown tool consumer". I am not nearly tech savvy enough to figure out the "multitenancy" instructions...or beyond. I gave it a few shots and have gotten nowhere. Please help out this dummy!

(I am using the open source free version as I teach immigrants and refugees in a non-credit course. My school says non-credit courses will not receive the paid version of Canvas [under the school's account] until October or November.)

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Community Contributor

Hi All,

We set up CanvaBadges to appear in user profiles for one of our sub-accounts.  We are excited to test it out.  One thing I noticed is that you have to click "list this badge in the organization's public badge directory" if you want people to be able to see details about the badge when they click on the badge in a user's profile.

Beyond that, what does "public badge directory" mean?  Is this a list that is searchable from outside the institution?  Does this enable other instructors in my organization to import this badge into their course?

I apologize if this is something already covered in  @jward ​'s course.  I'm planning to enroll when the next session begins!

macaulayl
Community Member

Another question to add to the mix...I have not checked off the "require manual approval before awarding", yet badges aren't being given to students who clearly did the requirements.  What am I missing?  I don't want to have to check each student's progress individually and then click to award the badge when the requirements are based on quiz scores from an external tool.  Any ideas?  Canvas support tells me I have to manually award, but since there is that check box, I think that is odd.

Well I didn't really want to have to make a separate module for each badge.   But this is causing me to rethink that.

amckale
Community Member

I am trying to set  this up and am running into a design issue.   I want to have a badge as students complete practice tests.  But there appears to be no way to have a badge that one gets solely by instructor manual approval.  Here's what I have set:  

154298_pastedImage_3.png

But what they see is:

You've almost earned this badge!

To earn this badge you needed a final score of 0.0%, and you have 0.0% in this course right now.

All you need now is to wait for your instructor's manual approval.