cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shollis
Community Participant

Help with setting up home page

Jump to solution

Ok... I look on some of these tutorials, and I see some really cool home pages that include images that students can click on that will take them to other places on Canvas... how do you set these up?  Is it really complicated?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

homepage.jpg @shollis ​...

That may depend on how comfortable you are using some of the tools that the RCE offers when editing pages, I guess.  I've not looked at the tutorials in much depth, but I've seen some examples where people have created course navigation on their "Home" page that looks pretty nice.  There is one blog over in the Instructional Designers group (join it if you haven't already) where stefaniesanders​ wrote up a great tutorial on how to set up a nice home page.  Here's the link: Creating an inviting course home page.  There's a lot of comments on her blog, and it might seem a bit overwhelming...but please ask questions...that's what we're here for...to collaborate and help.

From my own recent experience, I created a resource for our faculty to use, and I built a menu system on the home page.  Basically, I used buttons (similar to what you see in Stephanie's blog), but I could have used images, too.  I put the buttons within a table of cells (so that they displayed nice on different sized screens), and then after I added the buttons to the page, it was just a matter of linking to the different parts of the course that I had already created.  The result was something like what you're seeing on the right side of this posting (just showing you a small corner of what I've built).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

homepage.jpg @shollis ​...

That may depend on how comfortable you are using some of the tools that the RCE offers when editing pages, I guess.  I've not looked at the tutorials in much depth, but I've seen some examples where people have created course navigation on their "Home" page that looks pretty nice.  There is one blog over in the Instructional Designers group (join it if you haven't already) where stefaniesanders​ wrote up a great tutorial on how to set up a nice home page.  Here's the link: Creating an inviting course home page.  There's a lot of comments on her blog, and it might seem a bit overwhelming...but please ask questions...that's what we're here for...to collaborate and help.

From my own recent experience, I created a resource for our faculty to use, and I built a menu system on the home page.  Basically, I used buttons (similar to what you see in Stephanie's blog), but I could have used images, too.  I put the buttons within a table of cells (so that they displayed nice on different sized screens), and then after I added the buttons to the page, it was just a matter of linking to the different parts of the course that I had already created.  The result was something like what you're seeing on the right side of this posting (just showing you a small corner of what I've built).

View solution in original post

shollis
Community Participant

Thank you!  I will check out Stephanie's blog!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

You're welcome!  Please ask questions along the way.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@shollis ​, here's a super quick and dirty video showing how to add links to pictures on the home page - 08.05.2015-19.54.00 - KonaJones's library

Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Hope this helps!

bgibson
Community Champion

Thanks.  I went over to the Instructional Designers Group. 

I am comfortable using WordPress.  I like the extra functionality of plugins/widgets and the "look & feel" of easily changed themes.  Most WP themes are already responsive.  So, I used an iframe to embed a WP site as the Home Page for a Canvas course:  *It would be nice if there was an Authentication LTI so that my WP site could be locked down to the public, but accessed from my Canvas course.  But, I guess there would have to be a WP plugin.

course-homepage-00.png