Hide/Delete Notifications from Student View

Jump to solution
abelladodds
Community Novice

Is is possible to delete prior notifications from my students’ view. When I was first learning Canvas and published a lesson a few weeks ago, I went back several times to the first few lessons modifying them a bit by adding, deleting, tweaking. Little did I realize that with every adjustment - a notification was being sent to my students. I NOW know NOT to hit publish until it is ABSOLUTELY ready.

Also,I have modified their home page now with only 4 links: Assignments, Announcements, Grades, Quizzes.  First I tried ‘hiding’ announcements wondering if that would ‘hide notifications’ ... but of course it did not - they are not one and the same. If there is a way to delete or at least hide (if not delete) old notifications - that would be AWESOME! 

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello abelladodds and  @hayley_fulton ...

Once those notifications are pushed out to students, there is no way to take them back.  There are a couple things you might want to consider, though...

• If your course has not yet started, keep the course "unpublished".  When the course is ready to go, or when the course start date approaches, then publish your course so that your students can access the content.
  • Do you have a separate "sandbox" course where you can build your content and then copy (import) it into your main course?  This way, you're not sending out notifications to your students every time a change is made.
  • Notifications are controlled by the end user (student, instructor, etc.)  It is up to the individual to set his/her own notification settings via the "Account" >> "Notifications" screen.  You cannot set these preferences for someone else.  It's personal preference.

I hope that this information might be helpful in some way.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post