cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jherring
Community Participant

Hide an assingment with group signups from student gradebook.

At one point in my class I have my students break up into smaller groups so they can come in on a specific day. '

To do this I created an assignment worth zero points "Grade does not count towards final". This was to facilitate the ability for the students to choose a day that they desired. With it being an assignment I set the deadline for their group to the day they were to come to class. This also put a notification in their calendar as a reminder. It also prevented them from not showing up and giving a lame excuse like, "Oh I thought I was in Thursday's group".

I did run into an issue where they saw the assignment in their grade book and about half the class asked me. "How come there isn't a grade next to the signup-assignment?"

Is there a way to to keep the signups with calendar notifications but not have it show up in the student's grade book. I could hide from mine as well.

It just now occurred to me that I could unpublish the assignment after the event. But would that wipe the student's self signups? (I know they signed up on the groups page but since the deadlines were tied to the assignment would unpublishing it mess with the signups in case a student later challenges it at the end of the course in hopes leveraging a better grade. I may not grade the sign-up but I would mark off if they were# absent that day.

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Jeff

4 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jherring . I don't know the answer to your question about unpublishing the assignment, but was wondering if you had considered placing the group signup assignment in a weighted assignment group.  The assignment could be given a score, but if it were placed in a group weighted to be 0% of the final grade, it would not positively or negatively impact the students in the end.  This may help with students who question not having a score next to an assignment, and make it easy to see who attended if those who didn't were given a zero, but it may not fit your needs perfectly.

Good luck!

jherring
Community Participant

Never thought about a 0% weighted group, interesting. I'll play around with that in the dev-shell. Thanks.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @jherring ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular topic since your reply on December 30, 2017.  Do you feel that ericwerth's response has helped to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you still have questions related to your posting above, please come back to this thread to post an update below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Jeff.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

jherring
Community Participant

I tried Eric's suggestion a few different ways and could not get the results that I was looking for. In the end I was satisfied with just unpublishing the assignment after its due date.  It disappeared from my grade book as well the student's grades. This time not a single student panicked or brought it to my attention. The student's self signups on the people-groups page still remained in case I needed to go back to look at a specific day they signed up for later if need be.