cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landonb

Hiding Assignment Grades While Grading

Last semester I was able to select "Hide Grades" when I started to grade an assignment and the whole classes grades for that assignment would be hidden while I was grading and then I would post the grades.  This semester that is not working and I do not know why.  I do know that Canvas has been updated to include the option of grading by groups and I do not know if that is the issue.  I need to know if there is something different I need to be doing to hide the grades of the assignment for the whole class.  

5 Replies
landonb

Also, it is interesting that the icon is showing that the grades are hidden but as I click on it you can clearly see from the image that they are not and it is not showing them as hidden in the grading portion.

327542_pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Becky,

There have been some notable changes to the grading policies in Canvas and the grades visibility. How do I hide or post assignment grades in SpeedGrader? 

But your screen shot showing both Post Grades and Hide Grades as active is certainly unexpected and may warrant a help ticket to Canvas Support

In the meantime, you may have to use the New Gradebook to control the visibility settings for your assignment. Here are two options.

Hope this answer helps,
Cheers - Shar

Shar,

Thank you for the links.  I do have a question, when using the "manual" option does that mean that I can select that and grade the assignment and post the grades when I am finished grading all of the students submissions for that one assignment.  The mute and unmute was so much easier.  

So is the hide grades option not valid then?  If I choose hide grades while in the grade book it is not hiding all of the students grades prior to grading.  It appears that it is definitely not doing what mute did previously.  What is the real purpose of "hide grades" now, only to hide one students grade on an assignment?  

0 Kudos
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Becky,

Yes, I think the manual option is what you want to do. Here's more information https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-17587-new-gradebook-and-speedgrader-muting-behavior-changes 

I also remember seeing/reading a bit of advice on when to set manual or automatic policy for the course, but I cannot find that resource right now. The general advice was that if you have a lot of assignments that you will hand grade, make your course policy manual and then switch individual assignments to automatic. If you have only a few assignments that will take long to grade, leave it on automatic (default) and set those individual assignments to manual.

The main takeaway is that you will want to switch to Manual policy BEFORE you get into SpeedGrader to do any grading. Yeah the mute/unmute was easier to understand, but I like having a course policy so I can set most things to manual at the start of the term and then post grades once everything has been graded per assignment.

Cheers - Shar

0 Kudos

Thank you Shar.