Hiding Grades Posts Them After Scoring. Is this a common problem?

Jump to solution
amanda_greco
Community Member

I'm currently grading essays via Quizzes.Next and have set it to hide all grades. I can see the eye with the slash on both SpeedGrader and my Gradebook (it's the new one). However, immediately after giving the essay a score, it changes it from "Hidden" to posted. Is this a glitch or a problem others are seeing? I wanted them to be hidden so everyone got their scores at once, as essays take a while to grade. But, students are seeing their scores unless I immediately click the "Hide Grades" after I grade each essay. It's getting a little frustrating.

1 Solution
RobDitto
Community Champion

@amanda_greco  instead of using Hide Grades, try using a manual grade posting policy. When I tested this just now, the new quiz submission score (after essay grade entry) stayed hidden. In the new gradebook, Hide Grades is literally that - for grades which had been visible to students, Hiding withdraws them from student visibility.  (Hide is not Mute - something we're finding needs clarification with teachers used to old Mute.)

Regarding:

Is this a glitch or a problem others are seeing?

It's probably worth reporting to your support team. I think it may be that scoring the essay question updates the grade; this "fresh" grade is then immediately released under what may have been a default automatic posting policy.

View solution in original post