cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plawless
Community Participant

Higher Ed Library Resources in Canvas

Hi Everyone,

What are some innovative things higher ed libraries are doing on Canvas? We are particularly looking into how to incorporate library resources as well as publish digital scholarship.

We would love to hear what other schools are doing in this area.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
7 Replies
bacherts
Community Contributor

@plawless ​, At San Juan College we have been embedding our librarians into our courses so that students can reach out to them via the conversation tool to ask questions.  Typically the librarian requests to be added to a course that they will be working in per an instructor's request, introduces themselves to the class, and then interacts with the students as needed.  It really boils down to what the instructor wants.  Our school is currently apart of a one book/one community initiative and we even provided a course shell for this that our librarians have been keeping up to date and inviting people within our Canvas environment to self-enroll.

Thanks, Sam

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @plawless ​...

Our library staff hasn't done a lot of things with Canvas thus far.  However, I can tell you that I have worked with them to get the Films On Demand LTI app up and running in our Canvas instance.  When I first started investigating the possibility of adding the LTI app to Canvas, I didn't think it was going to work.  I recall that the steps to embed a video (without the LTI) were a bit complicated.  However, the steps to embed a FoD video are much easier now with the LTI installed.

dhulsey
Community Champion

For our composition courses, we did away with the textbook in favor of placing links in Canvas modules to readings from our library's databases. I often draw my readings from the Opposing Viewpoints database for instance.

There are many advantages to this:

1. Opposing Viewpoints will read the articles to a student, which is great for accessibility.
  2. It saves the students' money and makes the most of resources the college already pays for.
  3. It accustoms students to using library databases for research instead of Google.
  4. Citing the articles is super easy for students.
plawless
Community Participant

Thank you all! This is very helpful.

maryanne_mills
Community Participant

Hi Patricia,

We will be going to Canvas in Fall 2016.  Do you have EbscoHost's Discovery?  We may add the LMS plugin called  Curriculum  Builder which will allow faculty access to articles and ebooks.

Thanks for asking this question. I am now following this thread!

Maryanne Mills

Librarian

West Valley College

Saratoga, CA

maryanne_mills
Community Participant

Hi Dallas,

Can you tell us how you incorporated the Opposing Viewpoints database into Canvas? Did you use an LTI or an LMS plugin that Gale offered?  If so, did they charge you more for this?

Thanks so much,

Maryanne Mills

Librarian

West Valley College

Saratoga, CA

maryanne_mills
Community Participant

Hi all,

I just found this Canvas video titled, "A Library Presence in Canvas" given at InstructureCon 2015 by Nevada State College. It's about 34 minutes.