cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newbym
Community Participant

Holistic Rubrics

In Blackboard we used Holistic rubrics where the first row scores the overall quality of the assignment and then each criterion row only contains descriptive elements measuring the quality for that criterion. When attempting to grade with this in Canvas it appears that because there are no points attached to each criterion description that you can't select only the the cell you want to assign and it also doesn't display that information properly for students once graded. Has anyone used a similar approach or attempted this in Canvas? Any feedback would be appreciated.

7 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

@newbym ‌ -- This is a great question! This past year, I did some creative rubric creating with combining points criteria and standards criteria...and some contained points which applied to the students' final scores and others that did not. With your rubric, do you need the more descriptive/categorical criteria to be worth points which influence a final score, or do you need to just differentiate the different levels of achievement without affecting a point total?

newbym
Community Participant

Thanks Kristin. I don't know if you viewed the sample rubric I attached but I believe my response would be the latter.

I did look at your rubric, and I was very thankful for the visual! I just wanted to verify.

My workaround was to utilize Outcomes‌. I created the criteria that were going to be used for scoring first, then I added the criteria that were used for pure assessment purposes based on custom outcomes I made for my course. When inserting an outcome, rather than clicking "+ Criterion", click "+ Outcome" and that will open up the outcomes you created. From that screen, there is a  box underneath the descriptions of each level of achievement that allows you to include the "points" from that outcome into your course scoring (  Use this criterion for scoring). Leave the box unchecked if you want the information provided to be for student reflection and guidance. 

My students have loved separating the points and outcomes/standards. They also like being able to view Learning Mastery Gradebook and to chart their progress in the different categories. As an instructor, I love having access to more data and being able to easily recognize each student's strengths.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like some visuals! Smiley Happy

newbym
Community Participant

As I have played with this I see certain possibilities but see some restrictions. In my original rubric each criterion description contains no points. I attempted to set the outcomes up this way but noticed that even though I would select a specific criterion cell when grading, the students see a rubric with all cells in that row highlighted. It only worked if there was a point value attached. So then there becomes the concern about confusion with students regarding those points on the outcomes that don't really mean anything in terms of their score.

Another issue for these rubrics is our attempt to use a point range which is probably another discussion for another day. Thanks.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@newbym ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

newbym
Community Participant

Go ahead.

Matt Newby

kindredspirit
Community Member

I am having the same difficulty creating holistic rubrics. I do not believe the question was completely answered. I want to be able to give one grade, but I also want to be able to highlight the various levels of achievement for the individual categories. I'm not sure Outcomes solves that problem. Is there any progress on this situation?