jamstutz1

Homepage Not Appearing on iOS app

I have created a page in my subject. 

This page is set as my "homepage"

For students using the web version the homepage appears as soon as they click on the subject's course card.

For students using the iOS app the homepage does not appear after clicking on the subject's course card. It can be found within "pages" though.

iPads are running the latest iOS 14.7.1 and the most recent Canvas "Student" app version 6.12.0

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

As far as I know, the Canvas iOS and Android apps display the course menu by design, since that easiest to navigate on a mobile device like a phone.

jamstutz1

Not the solution.

Displaying the course menu is just fine and I like it but before the most recent iOS update the homepage would appear right away after clicking on the course.

0 Kudos
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

In my version of the Student app (not the Teacher app), V.6.12.0, there's  "Home" button at the top of the course menu that takes students to whatever the designated home page is for the course.

0 Kudos
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

@jamstutz1 - I see what @mzimmerman does when accessing a course using Canvas Student on my Android, and I assume what is being shared is on an iPhone. When accessing Canvas Student with my iPad, I see the set homepage along the right-hand side of my screen with the course navigation on the left.

You're right about the browser version -- Users see it differently than they do with the apps. The interface is based on the browser version, but the navigation is located in a different place. With that, there's one less click on the smallest screens to access the home page.

Do your students use small screens (smartphones), or do they have iPads?

iPads

0 Kudos
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jamstutz1 - This is helpful. The iPad will display the course menu and the homepage set for your course. It sounds like you have done that correctly though. I just tested this out on an iPad using iOS 14.7.1 and the Canvas Student 6.12 and couldn't duplicate this issue. Is it possible you can share a quick video or screenshot you are seeing? Thanks. 

One other factor that I recently found was that this issue is only appearing in other courses that are NOT the "homeroom" course. 

Attached are photos of the homeroom course which has the homepage appear as soon as you click the course card.

The other is a related arts class that is NOT the students homeroom. This is where the issue of the homepage not appearing happens. 

IMG_1283.PNG

IMG_1282.PNG

0 Kudos
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you so much for replying with the additional information! Knowing that you're working with the Homeroom Dashboard clarifies some things.

I did some exploring myself, and you're right. With courses that "branch out" from the homeroom, you don't see the details on the Front Page, even when you follow the instructions here:

How do I customize a Subject Home page as an instructor? 

Support for Homeroom Dashboard is brand new to the Canvas Student app. I would assume that the basics are in place now and more functionality will be added as time allows. 

I did a quick search in the Idea Exchange, but did not see a related request. If you have time, it would be great to add this to the ideas open for conversation. You are not going to be the only instructor whose students would benefit from having more functionality in th Canvas Student app as the Homeroom Dashboard rolls out.

How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community? 

In the meantime, for as much as I want Canvas Student to be the answer because it does have some amazing features and abilities, would it work to add a Safari shortcut to the home screen? That would help your learners get to where they need to be quickly without sacrificing the connected feeling of the new Homeroom Dashboard experience.