cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nblong
Community Member

Hot Potatoes quizzes

Jump to solution

Is there a way to import Hot Potatoes quizzes into Canvas?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhulsey
Community Champion

Hi, Norman.You could link the quiizzes in a Canvas module, but if you are looking for something that automatically tracks student scores in the Canvas grade book, you will want to take a look at something like Office Mix  (free PowerPoint add in from Microsoft) or SoftChalk CLOUD  (an awesome paid option). I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
dhulsey
Community Champion

Hi, Norman.You could link the quiizzes in a Canvas module, but if you are looking for something that automatically tracks student scores in the Canvas grade book, you will want to take a look at something like Office Mix  (free PowerPoint add in from Microsoft) or SoftChalk CLOUD  (an awesome paid option). I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

nblong
Community Member

Perhaps I should have been more explicit.  Our campus is moving to Canvas from Moodle.  I have weekly Hot Potatoes quizzes that Moodle imports seamlessly.  However, when I imported my Moodle course backup into Canvas the quizzes show up as .jqz files that don't appear to be recognized by Canvas.  I'd really prefer not to have to recreate 16 weekly quizzes for two courses.  So I was hoping someone had a way to take Hot Potatoes quizzes and import them into Canvas in some way.

If that's not possible I'll deal with it.  Thanks for any help.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @nblong ​...

This may not be a direct answer to your question, but it may help you as you make the move from Moodle to Canvas.  The Canvas LMS is able to import several quiz questions at one time into a course via a paid software called Respondus.  You can find out more about how this works by reading through a posting I authored back in early December: Batch Uploading Quiz Questions with Respondus.  This might be something your school could consider in the near future if you anticipate having several quizzes in your courses.  It will save time!

Again, while not a direct answer to your question, I hope this has been somewhat helpful.

Hey Norman,

You mentioned that you tried to import the hot potatoes quizzes into Canvas as a part of your moodle course back up.  Have you tried creating a QTI zip file in hot potatoes and then importing that directly to your Canvas course instead as part of a Moodle course export?  Do you still have access to your original 32 quizzes in the Hot Potatoes software?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@nblong , did  @scottdennis ​'s suggestion to export the quizzes from Hot Potatoes as QTI zip files and then import those files into Canvas work for you?

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Just FYI for anyone playing along at home.  SCORM export was added to version 6.2 of Hot Potatoes.  Although a version 6.3 was released for Windows, the OS version only made it up to version 6.1 before development was discontinued.  Someone with a PC might be able to test whether SCORM packages built in this legacy software can be successfully imported into Canvas.

nblong
Community Member

Sadly, no. But I appreciate the response anyway!

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM, stefanievsanders@gmail.com <

@nblong , I'm sorry to hear that. In that case, I suspect the answer to your original question is "no," or "no, not at the moment." Accordingly, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered." The discussion will remain open for further participation, so if anyone comes up with an idea, please let us know!

james_sanzin
Community Champion

I use the crosswords. I would love to have the grade pop seamlessly into Canvas.