cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akenkel
Community Member

How Can I Create a Daily Journal Entry Assignment

Jump to solution

I have a journal entry due each day and I teach a block scheduled class.  I simply want to have a text box that opens and closes each day of class.  Is there an easier way to accomplish this than adding an assignment for every day of the class? This just seems monotonous.

Message was edited by: Adam Williams - Changed title to better reflect the question and added tags 'journal' and 'assignment'

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Deactivated user​,

There are probably various ways to accomplish this. One that comes to mind is to use differentiated assignments​ and create a graded discussion for each student that is only assigned to that student.

The Pros:

The student can return to the same place daily and add a new post and view any instructor feedback on previous posts.

Students will only be able to see their discussion.

The instructor can view and reply to any of the students posts and see when there are unread posts easily.

The Cons:

The discussion would always be open. There wouldn't be a way to set it up to "open and close" at different times.

The instructor would have to check the date and time stamp manually or use the API to verify submission timeliness.

Each student's discussion would show up as a separate column in the grade book.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Deactivated user​,

There are probably various ways to accomplish this. One that comes to mind is to use differentiated assignments​ and create a graded discussion for each student that is only assigned to that student.

The Pros:

The student can return to the same place daily and add a new post and view any instructor feedback on previous posts.

Students will only be able to see their discussion.

The instructor can view and reply to any of the students posts and see when there are unread posts easily.

The Cons:

The discussion would always be open. There wouldn't be a way to set it up to "open and close" at different times.

The instructor would have to check the date and time stamp manually or use the API to verify submission timeliness.

Each student's discussion would show up as a separate column in the grade book.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, what some of our faculty have done for student journals is use Groups in a discussion. It's a little cumbersome to set up because you have to create a group for each student in your class, but then you would create one discussion (label it Journal) and check the box to use groups for it.

What will this do? Make it so each student can only see their own posts in the discussion, they can't see other students (ever), and you can see everyone's by student - there will be a pull down that will allow you to select a student and see everything that student has written; you could also see this same thing in Speedgrader. This way the students could come in each day and go to the Journal discussion and add their journal entry. You could then go in and add comments and/or feedback.

Here's a guide with some general information on Groups - What are Student Groups? and a link to all the Instructor guides on Groups - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Groups

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user​, the ability to allow students to post to a journal is a popular feature idea, currently open for voting and in the information-gathering stage. You might want to add your vote and feedback here:

thebert
Community Contributor

One place for posting journal entries is the eportfolio under personal settings.

You might consider this:

• Create a journal assignment with an early term due date that instructs students to create a journal in their personal eportfolio found in their personal settings.
  • Students would submit the private URL to the assignment. As students submit their URLs, you can browse through them in Speedgrader.
  • Create a favorites folder in your browser and save all the eportfolio journal links in the folder, so that you can monitor their progress at your convenience.
  • Create a screencast that describes the specific eportfolio setup they need. Instructure has helpful eportfolio videos, too.
  • Add the balance of your instructions to the journal assignment.
  • Grade them on the completing the creation of their journal. You could create a rubric here that rewards creativity.
  • Create a second journal assignment at the end of the semester that posts their grade for the journal assignment
  • Create a rubric for the journal assignment: "Student posted every day." "Student posts offered quality observations and application of the course content." You understand, I'm sure.

Also, I love brief video journal entries. Require your students to post a few video journal entries. Perhaps require the first one, so that they break the ice. Perhaps the first one could be an autobiographical post. You could direct them to share 3-5 items about themselves. One great question here is, "What do you want to learn from this course?"

thebert
Community Contributor

I realized that using Speedgrader for monitoring their journals would afford you comments on their posts.

You could create an unpublished module link to Speedgrader for the journal assignment.

Move the module link each week or as necessary to the next module.

You could also add a Redirect app to the menu options. Remove it from student view in the navigation settings for the course.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, it looks like the community has provided some great ideas. Will any of these work for you?

akenkel
Community Member

I am going to try the first suggestion; the discussion post seems to fit the goal of this particular class. Thank you for the great ideas.  We have only been using Canvas in our district for one semester, so I am still learning.  It is great to have this as a resource.

Thank you for this suggestion.  I am going to give it a try.

anthonem
Community Contributor

Hi Deactivated user​ -- you hit the nail on the head:

Is there an easier way to accomplish this than adding an assignment for every day of the class? This just seems monotonous.

This is probably my ultimate wish for the " modifiedtitle="true" title="Student Journal or Blog Feature request.

Let's say you use differentiated assignments like Adam suggested. You could create just one discussion for each of your students and have them post each day inside that one discussion. Already you're going to have a really bloated gradebook if you have 25 students.

In addition, how do you score this one assignment in Canvas? Is this discussion out of 50 for example, if students make 25 posts? When grading, you'll have to start from zero points and then gradually add up to 50. Students will be confused why their total grade looks so poor because they have, say, 10 points out of 50 for your journal assignment.

I'm looking to administer this scenario in Canvas with just one journal/blog assignment that has multiple due dates so students won't appear to be penalized as points add up over the term.

OK I'm off my soapbox!