cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecassel
Community Member

How Can Instructors Upload Files as Assignments and Syllabi?

Jump to solution

I am an instructor trying to create my course in Canvas.

How do I attach an assignment document that my students complete and then upload to be graded?

I do not see any way for an instructor to upload any document as an attachment.

I also want to know how to upload my syllabus as a document.

All of the answers on this topic have been directed to students even though it appears instructors were asking.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ecassel and welcome to the Canvas Community!  If you are creating an assignment and want to include an attached file, you need to upload the file to Canvas.  There are a couple of ways this can be done.  First, if you are in the assignment creating window or editing the syllabus tab, then you will see what is referred to as the rich content editor, What is the Rich Content Editor?.  This document explains how to use the rich content editor to insert a file, How do I insert course files into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector as an instructo... 

Alternatively, you can upload files first in the Files tab and then use the content selector portion of the rich content editor (described in the document above) to select these to insert them into assignments, pages, quizzes, discussions, etc.  Here are a few documents about Files that may be helpful

How do I use Files as an instructor? 

How do I create a folder in Files as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13033 

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

14 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ecassel and welcome to the Canvas Community!  If you are creating an assignment and want to include an attached file, you need to upload the file to Canvas.  There are a couple of ways this can be done.  First, if you are in the assignment creating window or editing the syllabus tab, then you will see what is referred to as the rich content editor, What is the Rich Content Editor?.  This document explains how to use the rich content editor to insert a file, How do I insert course files into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector as an instructo... 

Alternatively, you can upload files first in the Files tab and then use the content selector portion of the rich content editor (described in the document above) to select these to insert them into assignments, pages, quizzes, discussions, etc.  Here are a few documents about Files that may be helpful

How do I use Files as an instructor? 

How do I create a folder in Files as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13033 

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

Thank you so much.

I am using the holidays to teach myself Canvas and it is a challenge.

I found the files approach.

Thank you for the resources.

Elaine

Dr. Elaine Cassel

Professor, Psychology

Lord Fairfax Community College

Warrenton, VA 20186

ecasssel@lfcc.edu

540-351-1527

I'm glad to hear that this will work  @ecassel  and good luck!

nsweeten
Community Contributor

*In the future, be sure you are accessing Canvas Guides for Instructors. The student guides give different instructions. 

swestbrook
Community Member

OK

I have been trying to post a pdf file into an assignment.  I want the students to be able to print and complete the work then upload their work.  I have tried to post the link but it does not open.  I can directly upload documents in Modules.  I can embed a scanned image of the document but I do not see a way the students can print that. 

Any help?

nsweeten
Community Contributor

@swestbrook    There are several ways to do this.  I will give you step-by-step as I do it, ok?  

Keep in mind: If you use a WordDoc instead of a .pdf it is friendlier to students being able to open and edit without having to own a printer or scanner.   My suggestion is to use a WordDoc.  If you must include images, keep them in the .doc.

1. First, load your document in your course's navigation bar Files button with a clear document title. 
  2. Then, go to your assignment rich content editor (RCE) and open it into edit mode.
  3. In your student instructions, place the cursor and then open the "files" area on the far right editor/link maker. (This is not the navigation bar Files, but rather the right-hand files link-maker that is only visible in edit mode.)
    • I prefer to make accessibility compliant descriptive links with Websites and documents, so I do this variation: Type the student instructions including a document title.  Highlight the full document title and then maintain that highlight as you locate the actual document file in the right-hand files link maker. When you click the files --> title line of doc, your highlighted line will flash yellow then remain blue, showing the link is active.  Example text: Download this assignment template Student Research Paper Outline, and save it with your last name in the document title like this:  Paper_sweeten.

346139_Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 4.38.36 PM.png

4. When you save the text, the link will show blue. You can test it. 

nsweeten
Community Contributor

Quick demo

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

nsweeten
Community Contributor

Lengthier "Training" Answer

Take heart and remember: As soon as you are comfortable with Canvas, ideas you struggled with before will seem easy to you.

As with so many areas of Canvas, there is more than one way to do things, depending on the workflow you prefer.  When you are just beginning, you'll do things in a way you can remember. Later you will add items in a way that requires the fewest clicks. Smiley Happy

The Files button on the course navigation bar is a storage area for items that are best delivered as complete files. 

You can load all the course's documents here into Files in an organized file structure, then link them one-at-a-time, as needed inside the info box (rich content editor RCE box) you find all over Canvas, in Pages, Assignments, and Quizzes.

Oftentimes you can unpack document contents into the Canvas info box/RCE. This unpacking is a best practice in general, except when students will be editing a template and returning the complete document for grading. For example: A Syllabus is an ideal document to unpack into a Canvas-streaming page, so students can see it on any device including a phone. 

Unpacking into Canvas can be done as a simple copy/paste from a WordDoc if you use the ribbon tool correctly in MSword.  Unfortunately, If you do a lot of spaces and tabs, this old-school bad habit will not translate well and there is a lot of tedious cleanup (from old typewriter habits based on the constraints of paper size).  *The internet doesn't have the size and presentation constraints of paper, so it is good to get familiar and take advantage of HTML and internet responsive design that works on all shapes and size ratios of devices. Canvas is great for this, so avoid clinging to old document habits unnecessarily.

Student access to fIles is best one-precise-file-at-a-time, with your teacher context and instructions, in the info box RCE on Pages/Assignments/Quizzes.  (The alternative Go Fish method of leaving the FIles tab open for students to wade through, will still work, but it is less UX friendly.) 

It is also possible to pull one file at a time into the modules as a separate object with an auto-preview. (Great for PowerPoints, but you must add the Overview pages manually to tell students in advance what you want them to 'do" with files. )

nsweeten
Community Contributor

@ecassel ‌ and  @swestbrook ‌

In case it is helpful, please check out this blog post on the topic of documents in Canvas:

Unpack Those Docs!* Best Practices for Course Design