cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sara_munzinger
Community Participant

How are analytics about time usage determined?

Jump to solution

When you look at the amount of time a student has spent on a site, how is that determined?  Is it by the length a user left their browser open?  Or based on activity/clicks?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@sara_munzinger ​, you are absolutely correct in that total activity is (at least my estimation) pretty useless when looking at student participation and/or evaluation. I would argue that the same is true for last activity. Just because they logged into a course doesn't mean they did anything.

What our faculty do is use a combination of participation & submissions - via What will Analytics tell me about my student? - and for our online courses dropout detective​. [Dropout Detective is a third party solution that integrates into Canvas and provides a lot of student analytic information in one easy to read table ranked by the most at risk student to least at-risk student. ]

All this being said there are a number of feature ideas that really focus on faculty (and admin's desire) for more analytic information - , , , and - my recommendation is to vote and comment on these if you haven't already!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sara_munzinger ​...

I'm not sure if my answer will completely answer your question, but I'm going to provide you with some links to Canvas Guides just in case.  You might want to check out these Guides:

How do I view Analytics for a student?

What will Analytics tell me about my student?

How do I access the People page as an instructor? (see note #11 towards the bottom of this Guide)

...and then there is also this video:

Please let us know if this answers your question...thanks!

sara_munzinger
Community Participant

So the "total activity" is determined by page views?  As long as a student leaves a page open for 2 minutes or more, that amount of time counts towards the "total activity" time?  If they leave a canvas site open in a browser tab for a full day, those 24 hours will be reflected in the "total activity" for that student?

@sara_munzinger ​, per the How do I use the People page as an instructor?  guide, "View total activity for each user in the course. This allows you to see how long students interact within a course and is associated with page views. Total activity time is displayed in hours:minutes:seconds. If a user has not yet reached an hour of activity, total activity time is displayed as minutes:seconds. Total activity requires a two-minute page view minimum for performance. Note: This does not capture page views for videos that do not include intermediate page requests, such as a half-hour recorded lecture."

Hope this helps!

sara_munzinger
Community Participant

Thanks  @kona ​ and  @chofer ​.  I've looked at those resources and read your comments, but I still don't think the answer is very clear.  If I understand it correctly, the "total activity" can be gamed/skewed by simply reloading pages and/or leaving pages open for hours on end?  It seems like this is either an imprecise form of data, or one that instructors shouldn't consider very important when thinking about student participation and/or evaluation?

@sara_munzinger ​, you are absolutely correct in that total activity is (at least my estimation) pretty useless when looking at student participation and/or evaluation. I would argue that the same is true for last activity. Just because they logged into a course doesn't mean they did anything.

What our faculty do is use a combination of participation & submissions - via What will Analytics tell me about my student? - and for our online courses dropout detective​. [Dropout Detective is a third party solution that integrates into Canvas and provides a lot of student analytic information in one easy to read table ranked by the most at risk student to least at-risk student. ]

All this being said there are a number of feature ideas that really focus on faculty (and admin's desire) for more analytic information - , , , and - my recommendation is to vote and comment on these if you haven't already!

View solution in original post

bonnie_kent1
Community Member

Hello!  I am new to Canvas and I have tried looking for an answer to this and can't seem to find it.  Can I view the "total activity" for a concluded enrollment? How do I do that?  Thanks!

I double-checked and it looks like the only way to do this would be to restore the student to the course. My recommendation would be to do this in the Canvas Test Environment - How do I access the Canvas test environment?​ - so that way the student isn't actually restored to the course. [Side note, at some Institutions Instructors don't have the permissions to do this so a Canvas Admin would need to do this.]

In addition, because of this issue (of not easily being able to see what concluded students did/didn't do) we actually created a report that would provide information about concluded (and actually all) students - Assignment Submissions Report Programming

Hope this helps!