cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brimart
Community Member

How are "text-no questions" displayed in the student analysis report?

Jump to solution

I am planning a classroom research project in the context of a quiz the students are taking. I plan to manipulate an extra paragraph in the instructions the students will see, and this requires setting up a question group with two versions of the instructions (both are text--no question format) and then having Canvas randomly choose one of them to display.: version "a" or version "b." The problem is this....how will I later know WHICH version of the instructions my students saw so that I can see if helped their performance? When I export a student analysis report, I know that text items get displayed in the report in their own column, but because students don't do anything in response to these, I'm not sure I will be able to tell which version each student saw? This is essential to know for the study to work, but I have no way of testing it out and getting a sample report so I can check. Can anyone help???

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @brimart ​ -

What an interesting scenario.  Let me make sure I'm understanding it correctly, and I think I may have an answer for you.  You have ONE question group, and it consists of two "questions."  The "questions," however, are just text, using the drop-down menu of Text (No Question) in the quiz question dialog box.  The "questions" are worded differently.  When students take the quiz that consists of this ONE group, you have the group set up so that the group displays only ONE of the two "questions." 

Assuming this is the scenario, I tested this on a GRADED quiz, though in fact I made each question worth 0 points.  (You didn't say if you were scoring them, but no matter.  But you DO want to make this graded to get the results by student.)   The important part here is even though the students are just reading your one text-based "question," they MUST click SUBMIT at the bottom of this question.  That is what Canvas is looking for to "register" your statistics.

First, forgive the rather simplistic example I'm using, but in my sample GROUP I had two different text-based questions:

• Please study the career of John Adams 
  • Please study the career of John Adams and the effects (if any) of his administration his administration had on the Jefferson presidency that followed it.

(Can you tell my BA was in History?)  The group was set up to pick 1 question at 0 points per question.  So, similar to your example, they are worded in a similar way but the second one has longer text.

Here is a sample screen capture of what the student will see:

sample quiz in student view.jpg

As long as they click SUBMIT QUIZ at the bottom, that will populate the student analysis you desire.  I had a sample course where I took it as four different "students."  As it turns out, three of them had one question, and only one of them had the other, but it was enough to show the results I wanted. 

I then clicked QUIZ STATISTICS and then the STUDENT ANALYSIS button. (I assume you already know how to use this, but in case not, details here:  Once I publish my quiz, what kinds of quiz statistics are available? )  This will download the results to a CSV file which you can open in Excel.  Once I did that, here is a screen capture of the results from my four sample students:

quiz results.jpg

The students highlighted in yellow had the shorter question; the student highlighted in green had the longer one.  However, because it was graded, you will notice that the "score" of zero registers in the column following the quiz text/question, whereas the column after the question just shows a blank cell if they did not get the question.  (And yes, this is exactly what the "student" observed when it was being taken, as I can testify!)

Long story short--this should work for you. 

I hope this helps, Bridgette.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @brimart ​ -

What an interesting scenario.  Let me make sure I'm understanding it correctly, and I think I may have an answer for you.  You have ONE question group, and it consists of two "questions."  The "questions," however, are just text, using the drop-down menu of Text (No Question) in the quiz question dialog box.  The "questions" are worded differently.  When students take the quiz that consists of this ONE group, you have the group set up so that the group displays only ONE of the two "questions." 

Assuming this is the scenario, I tested this on a GRADED quiz, though in fact I made each question worth 0 points.  (You didn't say if you were scoring them, but no matter.  But you DO want to make this graded to get the results by student.)   The important part here is even though the students are just reading your one text-based "question," they MUST click SUBMIT at the bottom of this question.  That is what Canvas is looking for to "register" your statistics.

First, forgive the rather simplistic example I'm using, but in my sample GROUP I had two different text-based questions:

• Please study the career of John Adams 
  • Please study the career of John Adams and the effects (if any) of his administration his administration had on the Jefferson presidency that followed it.

(Can you tell my BA was in History?)  The group was set up to pick 1 question at 0 points per question.  So, similar to your example, they are worded in a similar way but the second one has longer text.

Here is a sample screen capture of what the student will see:

sample quiz in student view.jpg

As long as they click SUBMIT QUIZ at the bottom, that will populate the student analysis you desire.  I had a sample course where I took it as four different "students."  As it turns out, three of them had one question, and only one of them had the other, but it was enough to show the results I wanted. 

I then clicked QUIZ STATISTICS and then the STUDENT ANALYSIS button. (I assume you already know how to use this, but in case not, details here:  Once I publish my quiz, what kinds of quiz statistics are available? )  This will download the results to a CSV file which you can open in Excel.  Once I did that, here is a screen capture of the results from my four sample students:

quiz results.jpg

The students highlighted in yellow had the shorter question; the student highlighted in green had the longer one.  However, because it was graded, you will notice that the "score" of zero registers in the column following the quiz text/question, whereas the column after the question just shows a blank cell if they did not get the question.  (And yes, this is exactly what the "student" observed when it was being taken, as I can testify!)

Long story short--this should work for you. 

I hope this helps, Bridgette.

View solution in original post

brimart
Community Member

Thank you so much, Ken. You understood my scenario perfectly and this is precisely what I needed to feel confident that this will work. Thank you so much for your clear analysis of my problem and thorough reply!