How are student numbers allocated in anonymous marking?

Jump to solution
kathy_scott
Community Novice

Hi,

How are student numbers allocated when anonymous marking is turned on? I thought it was to do with the first student interacting with a course becoming Student 1, the second being Student 2 etc. However, we had an assignment open this week and when someone submitted late to it, they became Student 21 right in the middle of the cohort and the ones below (who'd submitted before them) all got shifted down by one Student number (e.g. Student 24 became Student 25, and the original Student 21 became Student 22). Also, we ask students to submit to two different assignments within the same course so that two markers can mark blindly/independently, and the submissions are labelled with different student numbers within each assignment (e.g. student X is Student 21 in marker 1's assignment, but is Student 42 in marker 2's assignment). What is the logic to the Student numbers please?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Thanks for the additional information,  @kathy_scott ‌. I think I follow what you're looking for. The main issue is that you need a way for the people who do the marking to have a way to communicate about individual submissions, but they can't because the logic behind how submissions are randomized changes. In the midst of our conversation I had some back channel conversation and did find that the logic is not available in an effort to preserve student anonymity. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "Permissions around marking/gradebook is a whole other issue for anonymous marking..." - I would think that for your use case, in order to ensure that student anonymity is preserved, and markers can still communicate, those permissions would have to be in place.

You might want to consider adding this as a new Canvas Feature Idea. For more information on how feature ideas work see the following guides, How do I create a new feature idea? and How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Sorry this isn't better news for you! Let me know if I can be of any more help!

View solution in original post