cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bpayne01
Community Participant

How are you doing it when you have an assignment assigned in one week and due in another.

We have assignments in course that could be assigned in the class and due in a later week.   Since they are going to be an assignment upload, we use the Assignment type, put all the details in about the assignment (points, when it is due, attach the rubric).

Then in the week it is due, we just have a placeholder using the Content Page type as a reminder.

Seems to work okay, but just wondered what others may have done.

5 Replies
dhulsey
Community Champion

Hey, Robert! I do the opposite of what you are doing: First, I use modules to organize the sequence of content and assignments. When I have a medium or long term assignment, I  deliver the instructions in a content page at the point I want the students to begin work. When the assignment is due, I place the assignment in the modules. In the assignment, I use the Canvas browser to link back to the page with the instructions. This makes sense to me as the arrangement follows the timeline of what students need to do. Although, this seems like a case where many strategies will work. 

Have a good day!

bpayne01
Community Participant

Dallas, yep we do that is some situations as well. However, if I use your

way Content Page first with details, etc. how do you give then access to

the clickable rubric? We are transitioning from Blackboard and I don't

have any Word documents for the front end, so I just build the rubrics in

Canvas.

Thanks!

Robert Payne

Instructional Designer

Baker College System

O: 810-766-4053

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 1:31 PM, dhulsey@nmjc.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

dhulsey
Community Champion

Hi, Robert! I take a screenshot of the rubric and place it into the content page as an image. Although, specifically, I deliver my instructions in SoftChalk Could instead of Canvas pages. I make the instructions interactive and take a grade for reading and answering questions about the instructions with the LTI connection between Canvas and SoftChalk. That way, I can see who has and hasn't read the instructions in the grade book, and I can see who might need help because they scored poorly on the instructions. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @robert_payne ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for quite a while, and so I wanted to check in with you.  I see that you and  @dhulsey  have been chatting about a possible solution.  In reading through your question, it seems to me that there may be more than one solution and that those solutions may differ from one school to another.  With that in mind, I am going to convert your "Question" to a "Discussion".  A "Question" usually will have one "correct" answer vs. a "Discussion" that will have a more open-ended discussion with many possible solutions.  I hope that's alright with you.  If you could please let us know if you're still looking for some additional feedback, that would also be helpful.  Looking forward to hearing back from you, Robert.

bpayne01
Community Participant

Chris, always looking for other ideas.  We had settled on one of two options for this.  Either we would use an Assignment with all the instructions, the rubric and the place to submit the assignment, followed by a Content Page that would just be a reminder in the week the assignment was due.  Or, we would have the content page with the information (rubric linked as a Word document) and the Assignment (where the submission would happen) later in the week it was due.