cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niklas
Community Member

How are you structuring assignments and modules?

Hello community,

I was wondering if any of you, in the community, are interested in sharing your suggestions to build the structure of assignments most optimal?

At the moment we are using different assignments into the modules. But over a year the module page can easily contain up to more than 50 assignments which I fear will be a bit  confusing/demotivating for the students.

Are there any way of making a different structure to the assignments/modules? Or maybe to auto-remove the finished assignments on a individual level?

I look forward hearing from you

Kind regards

Niklas

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@niklas ​, because you've invited suggestions, your prompt implies that the discussion won't ultimately arrive at a single uniquely correct answer, so I've changed the format of this post to a discussion. You haven't indicated what grade level(s) you're designing for, so perhaps you could provide additional details about your student demographics and how your school year is structured (as it may not be optimal to extend a single course over an entire year without using terms or grading periods). Even so, I've shared this discussion with the Higher Education​ and K-12​ as well as the Instructional Designers​ groups to enhance its visibility and promote participation.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

@niklas ​,  I'm not sure if this will help or can be pulled off at your institution, but we are in the process of moving from listing everything out in 1 module to putting it in tabs on one content page.  The result is that the modules look more manageable. We're doing the tabs through KennethWare

Here's what an old module looks like:

2016-04-22 11.35.47 am.png

Here's what it looks like with the new tabbed format (as you can see, you see more modules with less clutter on the same screen) :

2016-04-22 11.36.08 am.png

Here's what shows up on our content page:

2016-04-22 11.36.25 am.png

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @niklas ​...

Similar to  @canvas_admin ​, our modules are separated out into what we commonly refer to as "Learning Plans" at our Technical College.  Each Learning Plan is usually centered around one topic, and the number of Learning Plans will vary from course to course.  Prior to making the move to Canvas, in our previous LMS we designed courses so that each Learning Plan had an "Overview" page (containing a brief overview paragraph, any competencies for the LP, and criteria & learning objectives), a "Learning Activities" page containing all the non-graded activities to help students prepare for the graded work, and the "Assessments" page where the graded work was listed.  In moving over to Canvas, we decided to design our courses a bit differently in that all of our Learning Activities were separated out into their own unique "Pages" in a Canvas module.  For example, a single page in a module called "LP1: Learning Activities" listing several activities for students to complete now became something like this:

LogicalProgression.jpg

We call this "Logical Progression" because now students can literally step through each Learning Activity using "Previous" and "Next" buttons to go back or advance to the next activity...and then ultimately the graded assignments.  Some of the reasons/benefits we communicated to our faculty about "Logical Progression" were (among others):

• Less scrolling! Since your activities aren't listed on a single page in a Learning Plan, it doesn't appear there is as much to read on a page…since text mainly stays at the top of the screen.
  • You no longer need to figure out how to re-number your Learning Activities or how to insert a Learning Activity in the middle of existing Learning Activities in your course.
  • Re-ordering of your Learning Plans is as simple as dragging and dropping.
  • You can have a bank of Learning Activities, Discussions, or Assessments and only publish the ones that you want your class to participate in. The rest will remain hidden to students.

If you have any questions about our process, please let me know...thanks!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@niklas ,

We are giving the Instructional Designers area a little bit of love and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie