cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tamara_becker
Community Participant

How can I add an External App to a list of 61 Canvas Courses?

Jump to solution

Hello Canvas Admins,

I'm fairly new to Canvas and brand new to API, LTI, and SSO Integrations so I need beginner help.

I'm looking to add an external app (Hopson's Starfish) for a group of 61 pilot Canvas Courses. 

We don't want the app available to all courses because staff haven't been trained.

I've started to manually add the App with the Configuration Type, Name, Consumer Key, Shared Secret and XML Configuration to each course, but I'm finding this time consuming and all I'm really doing is cutting and pasting the same information over and over. 

Is there another way to approach this?

Thanks,

Tamara

0 Kudos
1 Solution
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

@tamara_becker ‌,  @jperkins  put together a great self-paced API intro course. While it focuses mostly on basic Ruby scripting, he starts with an introduction to Postman, which is a free tool you can use to run an individual API call without having to write a script. In Postman, you enter the API call you're using, define your LTI parameters and then just run the call on each of your course ID's rather than copying and pasting 61 times.  His course can be found here: Ruby & the Canvas API - Self-Paced - Canvas Network | Free online courses | MOOCs 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

@tamara_becker ‌,  @jperkins  put together a great self-paced API intro course. While it focuses mostly on basic Ruby scripting, he starts with an introduction to Postman, which is a free tool you can use to run an individual API call without having to write a script. In Postman, you enter the API call you're using, define your LTI parameters and then just run the call on each of your course ID's rather than copying and pasting 61 times.  His course can be found here: Ruby & the Canvas API - Self-Paced - Canvas Network | Free online courses | MOOCs