cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
languages
Community Member

How can I add an existing student to another course?

Jump to solution

I have a large number of students on a course that I would like to add to new course. Please note that this new course is a different course entirely, not just a section of the course they are already enrolled on. How can I do it without manually entering their details again? I was hoping there would be a way to just add them but I cannot find it!

By the way, I'm using the free version of Canvas.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bacherts
Community Contributor

@languages ​, Another way would be to export the grades and then using the student id column to copy and paste in the  + people area of the new course.  The names do need to be separated by columns so you could paste that column of data into Word (using paste as plain text) then use find and replace (ctrl+H) and replace "^p" with ", " (include a space after the comma) and you should be good to go.

Thanks, Sam

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kbesaw
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @languages ​,

You can find our .csv formatting here as well as instructions on how to format and upload those changes.  I would specifically use the enrollments.csv file to manage moving a group of students into a new course.

Please let me know if that helps.

bacherts
Community Contributor

@languages ​, Another way would be to export the grades and then using the student id column to copy and paste in the  + people area of the new course.  The names do need to be separated by columns so you could paste that column of data into Word (using paste as plain text) then use find and replace (ctrl+H) and replace "^p" with ", " (include a space after the comma) and you should be good to go.

Thanks, Sam

View solution in original post

This worked for me - thanks!

languages
Community Member

Thanks!