How can I allow students to write on a pdf document to submit as an assignment?

Jump to solution
kiara_johnson
Community Novice

I know how to upload pdf documents to Canvas but I want students to be able to type on the document and submit their completed assignments.

4 Solutions
ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi  @kiara_johnson  and welcome to the Community!  Just for clarification, are you looking for a tool external to Canvas that allows a student to write/type on an existing PDF document, save this, and then upload the new PDF to Canvas?  This isn't something where they would be peer reviewing another student's document, correct?

Thanks for the clarification!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I am looking for. 

0 Likes
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

There are many apps available to do this outside of Canvas. GoodReader, Notability, and PDF Expert are just a few that come to mind.

With Canvas Student, if an instructor includes a PDF in the assignment's instructions/details, students are given the option to annotate the item right inside Canvas Student and then submit it! It saves things in-progress in case the student can't finish in a single sitting, too. How do I add annotations to a submission in the Student app on my iOS device?

Would you mind expounding?

Do I need to embed the pdf in to Canvas? Is that how students gain annotating rights?

You're not talking about providing a link to a pdf that takes a student out of Canvas right?

0 Likes