Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waz107
Community Contributor

How can I build an interactive learning activity?

I would like to build an interactive learning activity in Canvas.  It would be something similar to the MyMathLab programs where students get a multiple choice or fill-in-the-blank question and would be given links to a helpful video, the relevant class notes, or a similar example. The students would be told immediately after each question whether or not they got it correct and if they got it incorrect they would be given another chance to answer the question.  I am trying to construct this as a quiz in Canvas, but I do not know if it is possible to create a quiz in which (1) students get feedback after each question and (2) students can redo questions that they got incorrect. 

Has anyone else had any luck creating such an activity?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
13 Replies
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @waz107 ​

This question has more than one right answer so I am going to un-mark it as a question which will turn it into a discussion.

I am also going to share it with the Instructional Designers​ group so it gets more attention.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@waz107 , the quick answer is no, this isn't possible in Canvas. The longer answer is that there are some things you could do that might get it closer to what you are wanting. The only way for students to get feedback after each question in a quiz is if you set it up so there's only one-question per quiz. Otherwise students won't see feedback until they are done taking the quiz. Yet, in the feedback section you can provide specific feedback on each answer option, general question feedback, incorrect answer feedback, and correct answer feedback. Within these you could link the students to resources or a page with the resources on them. There are also some pretty awesome things other people have come up with that might help:

Awesome potential work arounds/hacks:

In addition, there are a number of Canvas Feature Ideas​ related to what you are wanting and momentum is gathering for a complete quiz overhaul in Canvas - Modern Quizzing Engine. My recommendation is to review these links/ideas and comment (where applicable) on why having these features would help you and your students.

Hope all of this helps!

jmorris1

Hi Whitney,

This is possible, but not "right out of the box", and may require additional software. You can develop an activity that does exactly what you described using a rapid development tool such as Adobe Captivate or Articulate Storyline.  These tools have a similar look and feel to applications such as PowerPoint, but are much more advanced and are designed for authoring web based training's. They allow you to design interactive activities, including quizzes. The software allows you to export a package that allows it to communicate with the LMS, in this case, Canvas. You just need to set the appropriate SCORM or TinCan settings,  which is basically the protocol used to communicate between the activity and the LMS. Then, you upload the package to Canvas and configure how you want to record interactions.

In order to use SCORM with Canvas, I believe you need to contact your support team and have them enable it. I'm not sure if it's fully supported, but I have it enabled here and I have tested it with success, at least for "completion tracking". Plus, you would need some sort of rapid development tool to create the activity.

Good Luck!

dhulsey
Community Champion

As James points out, there are many options here. For my own interactive lessons, I favor SoftChalk CLOUD​, which is easy to learn and integrates with Canvas assignment  via LTI.

waz107
Community Contributor

Hi  @dhulsey ​,

I've looked at SoftChalk CLOUD and it appears to be similar to Drupal which my college currently uses.  Does SoftChalk have the ability to record individual student submissions?  For the activity that I would like to build students are given a homework grade based on how many questions they were able to get correct.

Thanks!

dhulsey
Community Champion

Good morning, Whitney! Yes, SoftChalk lessons can report directly to the Canvas grade book. here is the relevant page from the Canvas guides: How do I link to a SoftChalk lesson from an Assignment in Canvas?

I hope that helps!

brueckert
Community Champion

Hi  @waz107 

It may not meet all of your needs perfectly, but I would also check out the Office Mix LTI. It's great for creating interactive presentations/assessments using PowerPoint. Faculty at our school have been very impressed with it so far this year.

drlarrygreen

If you have programming skills, you can create an interactive activity anywhere such as your web server and then save it on your own server.  Then you can embed it into a quiz or page as an iFrame. 

I have done this successfully with my class.  I programmed an interactive activity, created ten copies of it on my college server such that each copy provides the student with the "secret number" if the student successfully completes the activity.  Then I created a question pool of ten quiz questions, each one embeds one of the activities as an iFrame.  Then, in the quiz, the problem randomly selects one of these and sets the link's "secret number" as the correct answer to the problem.  The student must put the "secret number" as the quiz answer.  This was a roundabout way of handling everything that you are talking about and requires some tech experience, but it has worked great for my students.

LisaCasto

Whitney and all,

I hope that you will vote for the feature requests that Kona listed above. My teachers, particularly  Science, have wanted this ability for over 2 years. Also, Whitney, I don't know your familiarity with the above tools, but you might consider something as simple as EdPuzzle. It has video, doesn't allow students to proceed in quizzes without correct answers.  It also embeds in Canvas.  Just a simple idea to add.