Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sara_chronister

How can I embed a PowerPoint show?

Jump to solution

I know how to upload powerpoints to Canvas but currently, my students must download the PPT in order to view it.  I just made a PowerPoint show and uploaded it but I want to embed the file so my students can watch it in Canvas instead of having to download it.  I have the file uploaded into my Files section.  How can I made it be embedded rather than a link to download it?

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sara_chronister ‌...

In searching the Community, I came across this question from back in April 2016: Has anyone embedded a PPT in a Canvas page?.  Do you think it would meet your needs?

View solution in original post

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

@sara_chronister ‌,

You really have two options that I'm aware of, depending on your preferences:

1. Upload the PPT file onto a Content Page in your course. Without taking any additional action (other than clicking Save), the PPT will be available for your students to download and view (by clicking the File's 'link') or clicking on the previewing icon next to the 'link'. If you're like me, you worry that most students will fly right by both of these options, so that's why I always set the file to auto-open in the file previewer available in Canvas. Instructions for this can be found here: How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for files using the Rich Content Editor? This at least allows students to click through or scroll through your slides without having to open the PPT with Office software. The link that  @Chris_Hofer  directed you to above highlights this option and is very useful (especially for Word Docs, PDFs, etc.). 
  2. ***MY PREFERENCE*** Convert your PPT to a Google Slides presentation and embed the Slides wherever you want students to access them. For now, you'll need to A) share the Slides so that anyone with the link can View and B) actually copy the embed code for the Slides and paste it into the HTML Editor (but that's simple enough, once you know where to look). Ideally, the new Google Drive integration would make it even easier to embed Slides, but if you do so right now with the integration, the Slides won't render in 'Present' mode. Click this link to watch me demonstrate how easy it is to embed Google Slides in Canvas.

The other great benefit of doing this is that if you need to make changes to one or more slides, you can do so in Google and those changes will very quickly be visible to your students when they view the embedded Slides. Imagine the alternative with a PPT file: you'd have to open, change, save, upload the most recent version and replace the old version in Canvas.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

42 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sara_chronister ‌...

In searching the Community, I came across this question from back in April 2016: Has anyone embedded a PPT in a Canvas page?.  Do you think it would meet your needs?

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

@sara_chronister ‌,

You really have two options that I'm aware of, depending on your preferences:

1. Upload the PPT file onto a Content Page in your course. Without taking any additional action (other than clicking Save), the PPT will be available for your students to download and view (by clicking the File's 'link') or clicking on the previewing icon next to the 'link'. If you're like me, you worry that most students will fly right by both of these options, so that's why I always set the file to auto-open in the file previewer available in Canvas. Instructions for this can be found here: How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for files using the Rich Content Editor? This at least allows students to click through or scroll through your slides without having to open the PPT with Office software. The link that  @Chris_Hofer  directed you to above highlights this option and is very useful (especially for Word Docs, PDFs, etc.). 
  2. ***MY PREFERENCE*** Convert your PPT to a Google Slides presentation and embed the Slides wherever you want students to access them. For now, you'll need to A) share the Slides so that anyone with the link can View and B) actually copy the embed code for the Slides and paste it into the HTML Editor (but that's simple enough, once you know where to look). Ideally, the new Google Drive integration would make it even easier to embed Slides, but if you do so right now with the integration, the Slides won't render in 'Present' mode. Click this link to watch me demonstrate how easy it is to embed Google Slides in Canvas.

The other great benefit of doing this is that if you need to make changes to one or more slides, you can do so in Google and those changes will very quickly be visible to your students when they view the embedded Slides. Imagine the alternative with a PPT file: you'd have to open, change, save, upload the most recent version and replace the old version in Canvas.

Good luck!

Do you have a way of tracking how many slides a student views?

No, Canvas is not currently able to track this level of detail of content interaction. The best it can do is tell you when and for how long a student was on the page. There have been similar requests for this type of activity, usually it's around viewing a video.

If it's crucial to you that students view every slide of a presentation, the only way I know to currently accomplish this would be to create break the presentation apart and add each slide to a module and leverage module requirements to require all module items were viewed. You can accomplish the latter by either uploading a bunch of 1 slide powerpoints, or recreating each slide as a content page.

I know this isn't an ideal situation, but I thought I would offer this option as a current alternative in lieu of nothing.

Relevant Guides:

How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2862?sr=search&searchId=1958b775-c1dd-4ba9-a568-b107df0779f...

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

Javier:

Unfortunately, no. What I was describing in #2 above was basically the ability to embed the Google Slides on a Canvas item (Page, Assignment, Quiz Instructions, Discussion, etc.) which is really nothing more than allowing one website (Google) to run 'live' on another (Canvas). Great for giving students access to the content all in one interface, but not very helpful if you're looking for analytics related to how students are interacting with that content. There are services that can be licensed that get you closer to that kind of capability, but typically for $$$.  @MattHanes ' suggestion about Office Mix is intriguing and as a school district that has both Google and Office 365 accounts, I need to investigate that option, too! 

Your suggestion for embedding the Google Slides was really helpful. I plan to use it unless Matt's Office Mix suggestion is easy enough for me to figure out in the next day or two.

Hi  @galindojavier ‌ I am a big fan of embedding! I did a presentation at my school last week about different embedding options, and I did it as a Canvas course... with a Google Slide deck embedded too! It's open here:

Laura PAINTs Canvas 

I'm not inclined to do narration for slideshows, but if I wanted to do that, my preference (since I like to use the same tools my students can/do use) would be to do SoundCloud and embed that on the same Page with the show, plus a transcript (since my guess is many people really do prefer to read than to listen).

There's an example of embedded SoundCloud there too. 🙂

Hi Laura,

Would you create your transcript by hand? Or is there a transcription service that I can use with my soundcloud audio?

If I were to narrate a slideshow (but, like I said, that's not really my style), I'd do it from a script to start with. Otherwise, I'd start rambling and would never get to what I wanted to say!

I use SoundCloud to create audio of existing texts for my students so that they can listen while they read. That's what I've done here for example:

Indian Epics: Images and PDE Epics: PDE Mahabharata 

Google Slides are the way to go!  You could even make it a Google Cloud Assignment and then the students will have a copy and they can make notes on it during your presentation.  

YES,  @raquepan ‌... that is such a good point about Google Slides! Students can have a copy for notes... and/or you can make Google Slides into a collaborative activity, where they could add slides at the end with their questions, ideas, etc. etc. I am very much a fan of the way Google Slides can be used collaboratively that way. 🙂

dmg34
Community Contributor

I was trying to figure out how to embed a Powerpoint directly from Box. Eventually determined that it wasn't possible, but I'm so glad I found this suggestion! I was skeptical about having to involve Google Slides (because Powerpoint is so much in my comfort zone, lol), but it was very easy to upload my show and convert it over and then embed it and VOILA! Exactly what I was going for! Thanks so much! #olddognewtricks Smiley Wink

MattHanes
Community Champion

Have you considered trying Office Mix? It's an addon for PowerPoint that will let you narrate and annotate over a PowerPoint. There is an app that you can install into your course to make the embedding process easy. You can also include quiz questions throughout the PowerPoint to make sure they looked at the whole thing and it will pass a grade back to Canvas if you embedded it using the LTI app.

@MattHanes  have you successfully pulled off the grade passback yet? I keep reading it's possible but haven't gotten there myself.

MattHanes
Community Champion

I did back when it first came out. I taught an hour-long class on Office Mix and that was one of the things that I covered. I don't recall having any problems but that was several months ago. 

Matt, when you've added narration to your ppt through Office Mix, how did you meet ADA compliance?

Except it only works on PCs, not Macs. 😞

0 Kudos
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Sara

Here are my options which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet:

(1). Create an account with docs.com This is Microsoft's free file sharing site that lest you post different documents on the web. It works for PDF, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Sway, OneNote and OfficeMix amongst others. There are 3 levels of visibility that can limit who sees the document. You can upload a document and make updates to it by re-uploading (provided you don't change the filename). You can also restrict downloads of the document (not sure if this applies if you embed?). There is no limit to the amount of files you can upload or file size!! (apart from OneNote which places a 100Mb limit).  You can also create 'Collections' with multiple resources. Once you have uploaded your documents you can then embed them. Embedding collectsion use the iframe tag and embedding single documents use the div tag. I have tested both on Canvas. Animation features are preserved on PowerPoints. Depending on the visibility setting you set, there are some analytics you can run to track who is using your document.

(2). If you prefer a more manageable/controllable route I would recommend One Drive Personal. Again this is a free service from Microsoft you can sign up to. I have created OneDrive accounts for each department in our school because I find the current Office365 feature and integration awful and hugely limited. One Drive personal is astonishingly good. You can upload Office Docs, PDFs, images and video. Embedding is a 'doddle', just right click on the file and select Embed then copy the code! Updating the file is fine provided you don't change its name . Sharing is incredibly easy too - none of the 4 line links that OneDrive Business/SharePoint requires. What's more, you don't need your users to be in school. When embedding PowerPoint you have full animation features and can view full size.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions....

Gideon

drs40

Here's one option you might consider.  PowerPoint allows you to create a video, and that can be embedded into Canvas.  It may work better for you than a PPS.

In PPT, select File > Export, and choose Create a Video.  Choose "Presentation Quality".  Edit timings and narration as needed or desired.  Then click Create Video.

In Canvas, create a page.  Edit the page and select Upload Media.  Upload the mp4 that PowerPoint created. Your PPT is now embedded in Canvas.

Super shout Dean - need to try this out!

Shar
Community Champion

The ability to turn a narrated PowerPoint into a movie is definitely a win for me. But unfortunately, the instructor I developed this solution for wanted students to be able to skip around to different slides if they wanted to review information again. I understood her need and switched to a different technology (Panopto) for her narrated PowerPoint lectures.

I also pitched a H5P.org solution (Course presentation/interactive video) in order to have knowledge checks, but she raised the same concerns with students being able to jump to the specific slide or having her voice-over narration. And it really is narration-explanation, she's definitely not reading the slides but explaining the concepts.

Cheers - Shar

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Technology can only do so much! The H5P suggestion was inspiring!

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi ishar-uw

Our entire state system purchased Panopto, and it is a good product. Not only can students jump to slides, but they can create their own bookmarks, and faculty can review student viewing activity. We have been very happy with this little startup out of Washington.

KLM

Shar
Community Champion

Yeah  @kmeeusen 

We're in the same state. Smiley Wink I'm also digging the Quiz features and the potential for social discussion within Panopto. The only drawback is that part of it has to be installed on the client machine and some users either don't have permission to install on their machine (like me on the work machine) or aren't real savvy on installing software on their own (the instructor I worked with getting her lectures up). But once it's all set up, it's a pretty simple process to narrate the slides and trim off the beginning and end of the screen recording.

Oh I also like that the resulting screen capture can be played as a simple podcast. That podcast feature made reusing some lectures from one class to another a breeze when we needed "guest" lecturers in another course. Smiley Happy

Happy Friday,
Cheers - Shar

kblack
Community Champion

My institution is using Panopto, as well,  @kmeeusen ‌ and ishar-uw‌, and things have been going relatively well once people properly install the software, as Sharmaine mentioned.  I wish the new quiz feature would have scores go back to the Canvas gradebook, but other than that I think it's a good product.  Not all sounds well in Panopto-land, though.  You may want to take a look at this recent discussion.

blangston

I have recently discovered Nearpod as an add on and will allow tracking of slide shows and embedded content as well as quizzes. I can't wait to use it next year. 

This sounds really interesting. Need to explore further.

Yes I can't wait to use it, plus students can't get ahead of you during a presentation, it is teacher paced. I teach Geometry and my students would always go faster then me and work ahead and not pay attention. With Nearpod they are on the same slide, they can interact and you can see what students are in the presentation and what answers they got on examples and quizzes. Plus you can embed videos and use it for modules. I'm really excited to use it next year. I would export my PPT to PDF without answers so they could follow along. 

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

Good opportunity to recommend an upcoming CanvasLIVE event: Partner Webinar: Getting Started with Nearpod in Canvas.  @GideonWilliams  blangston 

This is great; the CanvasLIVE title would not have meant anything to me before, but now I am intrigued, having learned about Nearpod here. Thank you, everybody!

How's that for timing!

blangston Are you using the free version of Nearpod?  I started using Nearpod a short while back and was somewhat discouraged to find that there storage/memory for a free account was fairly limited.  I am curious to know if they increased it.  It is a great tool and can be very interactive and engaging for students as well!

I'm not sure yet as I haven't started using it. I'm attending the webinar today and hope to have a better understanding.

Kathy Langston

cholling
Community Champion

Many of you have mentioned great tools, but could some of you address  @galindojavier ‌ post? I'm in the midst of ensuring that all of our websites, and eventually all our Canvas sites, are WAI A and AA accessibility compliant. I'm concerned about navigation and captioning with most of these options.

Thanks.

Shar
Community Champion

Hi cholling,

Panopto offers the ability to both generate auto captions (that can be edited) and import a variety of caption files. And it looks like you can even add the ability to pay for captioning services to the contract. And Panopto offers accessibility features for navigating in the software.

In general, the instructors I work with use a script for their narrated lectures and we usually turn those Speaker Notes into (tagged) PDF for students to download and take notes on/follow along. We offer those "lecture PDFs" regardless of what software used for presenting the lectures in our online courses.

Cheers - Shar

asaid

Hi Sara,

I save my file as a powerpoint into my "onedrive", then I embed it into canveas.

a1224143
Community Member

We have been doing quite a bit of testing of PowerPoint embedded into Canvas courses recently. I have placed the PowerPoint files into my personal OneDrive and set them as shareable to Public. The results have been quite good. Both PowerPoint Show (ppsx) and PowerPoint (pptx) work nicely as embedded presentations in Canvas courses on most browsers and devices tried so far. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Explorer and Windows, Mac, iPhone and Android have all allowed the PowerPoint Shows to play with interactivity including clickable buttons & hot-spots, animations, voice and embedded video..

Some of the minor frustrations have been around sizing the presentation for different devices and the audio icon getting cut off no matter where it is placed on the screen. Also, if you want to "control" the path that the learner goes through by turning off slide navigation and defining your own buttons & hot-spot navigation,  you may be disappointed to find that the player over-rides this.

Overall - I have to agree with  @GideonWilliams  earlier - it is pretty good. I also think that H5P has lots of more interactive possibilities will work more consistently in the future.

Thanks for this Kym

We also have the Office365 integration with Canvas but as I have mentioned at length on numerous occasions there is no embedding feature within the content pages so are forced to ask staff to create and use personal OneDrive accounts.

I continue to hope that this is on the radar for developments this year.

To get the embed code from a OneDrive powerpoint, open the file in OneDrive, make sure you have shared the file to anyone who has the link, then go to 'files' and select 'share'.  Then, select the size you want displayed in Canvas and copy the embed code.

Go back to the canvas page you want to embed the powerpoint file.  Select 'edit' and click into the 'HTML editor'.  Paste the embed code and save the page.