cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klm0046
Community Participant

How can I make each graded survey question required to receive a grade?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to make quiz questions required? Because, some students skip questions.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@klm0046 ​, unfortunately no, there is no way to make quiz questions required. Yet, one way you could greatly encourage students to answer every question is to set up your quiz (or graded survey) to only show one question at a time (you could also do no backtracking). Here's a guide that discusses these settings - What options are available for Quizzes?

Ultimately students could still not answer a question and continue with the quiz, but it you use no backtracking it would actually be harder for them to do this than just answering a question. Why? Because a pop-up will show up if a student hasn't answered a question and tries to move to the next question=. I know it's not perfect, but it I hope it helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@klm0046 ​, unfortunately no, there is no way to make quiz questions required. Yet, one way you could greatly encourage students to answer every question is to set up your quiz (or graded survey) to only show one question at a time (you could also do no backtracking). Here's a guide that discusses these settings - What options are available for Quizzes?

Ultimately students could still not answer a question and continue with the quiz, but it you use no backtracking it would actually be harder for them to do this than just answering a question. Why? Because a pop-up will show up if a student hasn't answered a question and tries to move to the next question=. I know it's not perfect, but it I hope it helps!

View solution in original post

klm0046
Community Participant

Do you know if there are any Apps or External tools that could be integrated that have this feature but a score is still automatically added to the grade book. This is for a non-required course for student support services with over a 100 students enrolled. Students don't receive a grade, but they must complete several items, and the only way to track completion is by creating an assignment.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@klm0046 , do the students need to get a 100% on the survey/quiz? If so, then you could allow multiple attempts, but use prerequisites to require students to get a 100% on the quiz/survey before they can move forward in the course/course content. We do something similar for our Online Student Orientation to Canvas and it works pretty well.

As for third party LTI tools that could potentially do this, I'm aware of at least one - Question Press. It's not designed specifically to do this type of thing, but it could be used this way and it does send the grades back into the Canvas gradebook. Yet, to do what you're talking about you would need to pay to use it - it is reasonably priced though.

sbastian
Community Participant

For our Academic Online Tutorial (required for all incoming freshmen), we use a Quiz as well. Students have to indicate they had read a particular page by answering something like, "I have read about the attendance policy and am ready to move on."  The next question may be a multiple choice question about the attendance policy, for example.

What  @kona ​ suggests above work for us in terms of the quiz settings.

Another thought is to use a module and set up the requirement for students to move through the module sequentially. In other words, they would need to complete each item/assignment before being allowed to move on. If you make the final item a quiz that is automatically scored by Canvas (i.e. does not contain short answer/essay questions), you can tell at a glance from the gradebook who hasn't completed the module.