cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcbriddt
Community Participant

How can I move a 'page' into a folder in 'my files' ?

Jump to solution

Hi -

I am brand new to CANVAS.

I have created several 'pages' that I wish to move into 'my files' as these 'pages' are to be use throughout

the course at various times.

How can I move these 'pages' into a folder – that I've already created – into 'my files'? Or where may I

find the information explaining how to achieve this move?

Please send your answer to: dantmcbride@gmail.com.

Dan McBride-

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mcbriddt ​...

Welcome to Canvas and the Canvas Community!  When you create pages of content in your course via the "Pages" button, those pages cannot be moved into folders.  Nor can they be moved into what you are calling "my files" (to be clear, Canvas doesn't specifically have "my files" terminology, but there are different "Files" areas of Canvas depending on where you are in the LMS).

As it relates to "Pages", there are really two different "states" of "Pages"...published or not published (also referred to as "draft state").  Once you have built content into a page in your course, you can publish it so that your students can view the content.  If the page is not published ("draft state"), then you are the only one that can see the content...until you decide to publish it for your students.  Here are some Guides for you to look at around this topic:

What are Pages for instructors?

How do I use Draft State in Pages?

As for the "Files" area of your course, this would be similar to file organization on your computer...where you can create folders and sub-folders to store your course documents (PDFs, Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc.)  Course documents are stored in the course "Files" area, but you also have your own personal "Files" area tied to your Canvas account (default is typically 50 MB per user account), and "Files" within Groups.  Although these three areas share the same name, they are completely different areas within Canvas...so if you are creating course content and linking to files in your course, you'll want to make sure those files are stored in the course "Files" area and not your own personal "Files" area or in the "Files" are for "Groups".  This video covers all three of these scenarios.

Finally, I know you didn't specifically ask about this (and maybe you're already doing this), but you might want to take a look at "Modules" in your course, too...as this will help with organization of your content.  While it might not completely get at the folder and file structure you are hoping for, it might help you arrange your course by module (you can name each module you create whatever you want, by they way).  Here is a video that should help:

Hopefully some of this information will be helpful to you, Dan.  If I have completely missed the boat on what you are asking, please let me know, and we can work through any other questions you have.  Thanks...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mcbriddt ​...

Welcome to Canvas and the Canvas Community!  When you create pages of content in your course via the "Pages" button, those pages cannot be moved into folders.  Nor can they be moved into what you are calling "my files" (to be clear, Canvas doesn't specifically have "my files" terminology, but there are different "Files" areas of Canvas depending on where you are in the LMS).

As it relates to "Pages", there are really two different "states" of "Pages"...published or not published (also referred to as "draft state").  Once you have built content into a page in your course, you can publish it so that your students can view the content.  If the page is not published ("draft state"), then you are the only one that can see the content...until you decide to publish it for your students.  Here are some Guides for you to look at around this topic:

What are Pages for instructors?

How do I use Draft State in Pages?

As for the "Files" area of your course, this would be similar to file organization on your computer...where you can create folders and sub-folders to store your course documents (PDFs, Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc.)  Course documents are stored in the course "Files" area, but you also have your own personal "Files" area tied to your Canvas account (default is typically 50 MB per user account), and "Files" within Groups.  Although these three areas share the same name, they are completely different areas within Canvas...so if you are creating course content and linking to files in your course, you'll want to make sure those files are stored in the course "Files" area and not your own personal "Files" area or in the "Files" are for "Groups".  This video covers all three of these scenarios.

Finally, I know you didn't specifically ask about this (and maybe you're already doing this), but you might want to take a look at "Modules" in your course, too...as this will help with organization of your content.  While it might not completely get at the folder and file structure you are hoping for, it might help you arrange your course by module (you can name each module you create whatever you want, by they way).  Here is a video that should help:

Hopefully some of this information will be helpful to you, Dan.  If I have completely missed the boat on what you are asking, please let me know, and we can work through any other questions you have.  Thanks...

View solution in original post

mcbriddt
Community Participant

Hi Chris:

Thank you very much for your prompt response to my inquiry.

My college is switching from ETUDES over to CANVAS. In ETUDES, we had a folder where we could create 'pages' – store documents and videos,etc – and store them out of sight from the students and use them whenever we needed them.

I guess that I can create some 'modules' where I can place these 'pages' – a place where I can store some of my 'form' messages and common responses to my students.

And simply NOT publish these modules.

If you have any suggestions, please send them to me.

Again, thank you again.

DAN-

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mcbriddt ​, welcome to Canvas and the Community!

Yes, you can absolutely store pages, files, links to websites, video, and even assignments in Modules and keep them unpublished and hidden from students until you'd like to use them. Yet, you don't have to add everything to Modules to do this. You can technically leave them in Pages and Files (and Assignments, etc; left navigational links) and as long as they are unpublished students won't be able to see them.

In general at my Institution we recommend not having these links (Pages & Files) visible to students and add all course content for students to see in Modules. Here's a guide on how to to do this - How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links? What this means is that Pages and Files are more like repositories of course content you might use with your students at some point, but what is in Modules is what students actually see and interact with (Pages and Files stay hidden).

Yet, I've seen some people who wanted to organize content for Instructor viewing only and so they did create different hidden/unpublished Modules for this content and it seems to work just fine!

Ultimately Canvas is very flexible, so it comes down to what works best for you and how you like to have things organized. Smiley Happy