cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sachssm
Community Participant

How can I put something into a Module that the student cannot see until that Module's prerequisites are satisfied?

Jump to solution

I want a way to to put a list of exam passwords into a Module or other device within Canvas that will become available to the student once the student completes the previous Module (satisfies all the its prerequisites).

Pages don't work for this since they can be seen by students at any time, whether or not they have gotten to the Module in which the Page is included.

Thanks for your ideas.

. . . Steve Sachs

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhulsey
Community Champion

Are you sure a page or file will not work, Steve? You can require students to work through items within a module sequentially and place requirements on each item (view, submit, mark as done, score a certain grade, etc.): How do I add requirements to a Module?

As an additional step, I hide almost every menu item from students except modules by using the course settings because I absolutely want them to access the course through modules and in the correct sequence: How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links?  The course menu for my students looks like this:

186006_pastedImage_4.png

When I use my student view, I cannot access pages or files (or anything else) when I have not completed the prerequisite items. The items that I do not qualify for are grayed out and unclickable:

186007_pastedImage_5.png

A page or file should meet your needs when combined with module settings, I think, and I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
James
Community Champion

@sachssm ,

You might try using Files instead of Pages. This question/discussion provides insight: Restricting a file until completion of another assignment

sachssm
Community Participant

James, thanks very much for your reply!  It even came on the same day I posted, which is great.

The link you sent for a possible answer doesn’t do the trick, as far as I can see.  To the extent I understand Canvas (I’m a very new user), the students can see not only all the Pages if have uploaded, but all my uploaded Files as well.  I had already created a prerequisite-protected Module into which I wanted to put something that students can’t access until they get into this Module, so it doesn’t seem to me that either Pages or Files would do the trick since they’re already accessible.

A restatement:  I believe that I need to put some thing other than a Page or File into a prerequisite-protected module, or instead settle for sending the passwords individually to students who have completed the prerequisite modules in private (inbox) text messages rather than relying on the Module mechanism.  It’s more labor-intensive but should serve my purposes.

The only other magical thing, which I don’t think is available in Modules, is to have some kind of Module description, in which I would put the passwords, that wouldn’t appear until the student has gained access to the Module.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. You’re a good guy.

. . . Steve Sachs

dhulsey
Community Champion

Are you sure a page or file will not work, Steve? You can require students to work through items within a module sequentially and place requirements on each item (view, submit, mark as done, score a certain grade, etc.): How do I add requirements to a Module?

As an additional step, I hide almost every menu item from students except modules by using the course settings because I absolutely want them to access the course through modules and in the correct sequence: How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links?  The course menu for my students looks like this:

186006_pastedImage_4.png

When I use my student view, I cannot access pages or files (or anything else) when I have not completed the prerequisite items. The items that I do not qualify for are grayed out and unclickable:

186007_pastedImage_5.png

A page or file should meet your needs when combined with module settings, I think, and I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

Instead of relying on someone else to provide the answer (even though  @kona ​ is extremely knowledgeable), I went through and did some testing on my own. The short version is that your understanding that pages and files are available all of the time is not correct. Access to them is restricted when they are part of a module that has a prerequisite.

Here's what I did.

I masqueraded as a student account rather than using the student view, just in case there was an issue where it was showing something the students wouldn't actually see.

I created a prerequisite module that they had to complete before they could get into the protected module. For testing purposes, it had a single page that they had to mark as done before the module was marked as complete.

I then created a followup module that had a prerequisite of the prerequisite module. Inside that module, I added a wiki page, a PDF file, an assignment, and a discussion. All of which contained the super-secret code words to provide access.

Prior to completing the prerequisite module ...

• You could not click on any of the links in the module
  • If you tried to go to the wiki page by going to Pages and choosing View All Pages, the page shows up, but if you try to go to it, it gives a warning that they need to complete the prerequisites (note that in the video, I forgot the name of the page and didn't see it and tried to get to it manually by typing the URL, but the result is the same.)
  • If you tried to go to the Files, the file does show up, but when you click on it, it says that you have to meet the prerequisites first
  • If you try to go the Assignments page, it complains about the prerequisites not being met.
  • If you try to go the the Discussions page, it doesn't even show up as a discussion

After you complete the prerequisite module ...

Everything works as you would expect it to. You can get access to the information through any of the four types.

Here's a screenshot of what happens when they try to view the wiki page without completing the prerequisite

186003_pastedImage_0.png

Here's a video I made walking through the testing I did -- including how the module prerequisites and requirements are setup (the last 25 seconds of the video).

Checking prerequisites in Canvas

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@sachssm ​,  @James ​ and  @dhulsey ​ have given you excellent advice. You can place the exam passwords in a page, and then drop that page into a module that has the appropriate prerequisites and viewing requirements set. Or, you can place the information in a file, and set either date restrictions or viewing restrictions on that file--again, putting the link to the file in a module so that it appears in sequence after the items students need to complete, and set the module with the appropriate restrictions for even more protection.

In addition, I'd also hide the Files and Pages links from the left navigation (see the guide Dallas suggested, How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links?​). I like to deliver courses that are as streamlined as possible in their navigation options. Hiding the Files and Pages links without placing restrictions on the items won't keep students from finding them--some industrious students will still try to get to those spaces by clicking on breadcrumbs--but if you've also placed module prerequisites and completion requirements on the items, as James and Dallas have described, they won't be able to access what you don't want them to access. And if you hide unnecessary links such as Files and Pages from your students, they won't even realize there's a place where they all reside, so there's less temptation to go clicking around.

sachssm
Community Participant

THANK YOU!  Exactly what I needed to know.  You saved me lots of work.

. . Steve Sachs

@sachssm ​, I'm glad to know that this Community discussion solved your problem! I've been reading over all of the responses that you've been given, and I am torn as to which one to mark correct, as the solutions provided by both  @James  and   @dhulsey ​ are not only comprehensive but also, in my view, equally useful. So I'll leave it to you--would you like to mark one of these answers "correct" by clicking on the appropriate Mark Correct button that appears above the reply, or should we change the format to a discussion, where numerous answers can be equally useful?