Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephanie_rich1

How can I regrade a quiz after I've changed the point distribution of the questions?

Jump to solution

I created a quiz out of 26 points, but after some students already completed the quiz, I realized that the quiz held much less weight than the previous quiz out of 100.  I understand why that is the case, but thought it would average out the percentages not the total points.  So, I went in and changed the points per question.  Now, students who took the quiz before this change appear to have failed.  I can't figure out how to get the quiz to regrade based on the new point distribution.  I did not change any of the questions or answers and they are all either multiple choice or multiple answer.  Oddly, one of the 11 questions regraded itself, but the other 10 did not.  I don't know how or why only one of the 11 did that.  But, that oddity gives me hope that there is a way.  Please help!  

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
valentinesking
Advocate

Stephanie,

From my experience, when this has unfortunately happened- we've had to manually re-grade each student's submission.

The auto-regrade feature I believe only is effective when you change the correct answer for a quiz question; NOT when you change the point value of questions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
valentinesking
Advocate

Stephanie,

From my experience, when this has unfortunately happened- we've had to manually re-grade each student's submission.

The auto-regrade feature I believe only is effective when you change the correct answer for a quiz question; NOT when you change the point value of questions.

Thank you for the answer.  I manually regraded...

gbrendan
Community Member

Good afternoon Stephanie,

I currently use Quizzes and cannot transition to Quizzes.Next for a variety of reasons. I recently ran into a similar situation, but in this case the Teacher made the Quiz 102 points, with 2 points being extra credit. After the Quiz was over, he asked me to have the grade for a perfect score display as 102% instead of 100%. In order to get the Gradebook to look the way the Teacher wanted I took the following steps:

1. Mute the Quiz in the Gradebook
  2. Go to the Quiz page and click Edit
    1. Scroll down to Extra Credit Question
    2. Edit Points from 2 to 0
    3. Change Correct Answer to a different one and select 'Only reward points for the correct answer (some students scores may be reduced)'
    4. Scroll to bottom and click Save
  3. On the Quiz page click Edit
    1. Scroll down to Extra Credit Question
    2. Change answer back to the Correct Answer and select 'Only reward points for the correct answer (some students scores may be reduced)'
    3. Scroll to bottom and click Save
  4. On the Quiz page click on SpeedGrader
    1. Click the Gear -> Options -> check 'Grade by question (beta)'
    2. Choose the Extra Credit question from the Number Bar
    3. Manually grade Extra Credit for all students - now students can get 2 out of 0 points
    4. Make sure to hit Update Score for each student
  5. Check Gradebook for updated Total Points

This allowed the students to get 102% on the Quiz and for the Gradebook to accurately represent the actual Total Points of the Quiz.

I know this isn't exactly in response to your question, but yours was the first that popped up when I search for 'Canvas Quizzes regrade Points', so I'm hoping that others will be able to make use of my reply.

Cordially,

Brendan

@gbrendan : Thank you for your detailed reply.

At least for multiple-choice questions, at the time of this post, one can combine your "big" steps 2 and 3, because one needn't actually change the answer, only re-select the correct answer. More precisely, after going to the Quiz page and clicking "Edit", for each question you wish to edit,

1. Change the point value (if desired).
  2. Reselect the correct answer, then select "Only reward points for the correct answer (some students' scores may be reduced)".
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the question and click "Update Question".

After you have made all the edits you wish, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save".

I had the same problem.  It would be great if Canvas could add a feature to allow quiz regrades to accommodate edits to the point values of questions. 

Alternately, Canvas could add an option to grade any quiz by percentage correct, instead of by point values.