Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicole_fleetwoo
Community Participant

How can I remove all traces of Vericite?

Jump to solution

At the end of summer quarter we had to pull the plug on Vericite.  I thought I had managed to remove it completely from Canvas by removing it from our list of apps and disabling it elsewhere.  However, when I create an assignment, or any of our faculty create an assignment for that matter, the option for Vericite still remains.  How can I completely remove this from our instance of Canvas?  We are no longer paying for the service and would like the option removed, so as to not confuse faculty or wind up with a bill.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

vericite lti‌ lti process‌

Vericite Plagiarism Detector Resource - LTI Guide - tried here thinking it might have a link with no luck.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nschutz
Community Member

Showing up in both scenarios. Here is the response from Vericite support. Our CSM will have to eliminate it for us.

"This is the original VeriCite Canvas integration that uses the admin plugin settings to enable VeriCite. This settings page is only accessible by a Canvas admin (i.e. Instructure support team). You will need to request that they disable the VeriCite plugin."

View solution in original post

11 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @nicole_fleetwoo 

Hmmmm................... that would drive me crazy too, and the risk of faculty confusion is high. I will look over the documentation you provided to see if I can discover something useful, but in the meantime I will share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ and Canvas Admins‌ groups where there might be folks already familiar with Vericite.

In starting my research I noted that a new young friend of mine wrote the supporting documents for Vericite here in this community, sooooooo..................... Deactivated user‌, do you have any help for my Washington ELC friend?

Pings are amazing!

Kelley

Really appreciate it, Kelley! It’s driving me nuts and faculty, even though they’ve been told not to use it…are still using it. I just don’t want to get a bill from Vericite. Thank you so much for passing the question around and pinging your contacts. It means a lot.

Cheers,

Niki Fleetwood, M.B.A.

Coordinator – Learning Technologies

eLearning | T313B

T: (425) 739-8303 | Niki.Fleetwood@lwtech.edu<mailto:Niki.Fleetwood@lwtech.edu> |

“Be like a tree. Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf. Bend before you break. Enjoy your unique natural beauty. Keep growing.” – Joanne Rapits

First of all, I apologize for such an out of date resource! I created that when I was still an Admin at the College I was working for, so it seems all the images have broken. Smiley Sad 

As far as removing Vericite from your root account, just wanted to verify that you've done the following:

> You've navigated to your Root "Umbrella" account in Canvas via the "Admin" button on Global Navigation

> Removed Vericite by going to "Settings" and then accessing it via the Apps tab there?

If you have, my next question might be if you have the Native Integration or LTI integration on your account? 

I'm afraid since I left my previous institution (which was before Vericite was aquired by Turnitin) I've been a bit out of the loop. However, these resources helped me quite a bit, and you may be able to reverse engineer uninstalling it from your instance through it? 

I'm so sorry I can't be of more immediate help, but perhaps a last "Hail Mary" so to speak could be by emailing support@vericite.com? 

Let me know if I can answer anything else!

nicole_fleetwoo
Community Participant

Hello Roxanne,

Please, no apologies necessary!  Smiley Happy  What you provided was helpful, it was a place for me to look that I hadn't already seen.

Sadly, I have removed it from our Apps tab - it even says that it's not a product we have.  

In all honesty it was setup by my predecessor, who left unexpectedly with no tie-out, so I honestly don't know which integration they chose to use. That's an avenue I hadn't even thought of before.  

I really appreciate the link to Veracite's help area.  I hadn't even managed to stumble upon it just yet.  Have a sneaky suspicion what I need is out there.

Thank you so very much for your assistance.  I truly appreciate it as this has been a thorn in my side for two quarters now. 

I wish we could give community hugs or high-fives!  I'd send you several.  Maybe a "Thank You" badge would suffice?

Virtual hugs and high fives are always accepted! Smiley Wink 

No worries at all! That's what we're all here for. No one should have to go through frustrations like this that detract from what their actual day to day job is. I know how that feels and it's a literal nightmare. Believe me, I get you! 

Hopefully some more info will come from the documentation! Best of luck,  @nicole_fleetwoo ! You got this!

nicole_fleetwoo
Community Participant

Thanks, Roxanne!

My apologies for the delayed response.  

We managed to figure it out.  Turns out that Vericite had been added via our former lead LMS admin, so it was stuck under their dormant account. Wound up having to reset their password in order to access their account and the root install point, from there I was able to delete it completely from out instance of Canvas.  

Happy to report Vericite can no longer be selected as an option on assignments.  <big sigh of relief>

Thank you all for you continued effort and support on this matter.  It's truly appreciated!  

Our institution also needs to pull the plug on Vericite. I removed it from our root account. It no longer shows up in our Canvas account under Settings>>Apps tab. But when I edit an assignment, it still has the Enable Vericite checkbox. Is there anything else we need to do to get rid of that?

314561_pastedImage_1.png

Hey there  @nschutz !

Out of curiosity, are you seeing that option when creating a "new" assignment? Or is this while opening up an old one that was initially created when you had Vericite installed? I would suspect it still be present if its the latter, but in theory it shouldn't be present in new assignments. 

nschutz
Community Member

Showing up in both scenarios. Here is the response from Vericite support. Our CSM will have to eliminate it for us.

"This is the original VeriCite Canvas integration that uses the admin plugin settings to enable VeriCite. This settings page is only accessible by a Canvas admin (i.e. Instructure support team). You will need to request that they disable the VeriCite plugin."