cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rramirez
Community Participant

How can I reorganize the courses by semester rather than by their names?

Jump to solution

The shell for my new spring 2017 courses have been created and added to 'Courses' and 'Dashboard' links in Global Navigation.  They seem to be arranged by name (abc order).  Does anyone know hot to reorganize them by semester?  For example, all fall 2016 courses in a group, all spring 2017 in a separate group, etc.

Thanks,

Ruben D Ramirez

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi again,  @rramirez . Currently, and by design, course cards appear in alphabetical order on the Dashboard, so you can't rearrange them. However, you can choose which ones show on the Dashboard. Many teachers like to show only their current courses (e.g. their Fall 2016 courses) on the Dashboard, and then go on to re-customize the Dashboard view when the new term starts. You'll find more about this in How do I customize my Courses list?

You can also give your course cards nicknames, as described in How do I create a nickname for a course?

When I said you can't rearrange the course cards, what I meant is that Canvas doesn't provide that functionality out of the box. The estimable  @James ​ has created a nifty script that will allow you to drag and drop the course cards wherever you want them to be, and you'll find that detailed in Sorting Dashboard Course Cards  I am far from a programmer, but it took me well under a minute to install it.

Last, this is the subject of a popular feature idea that is currently in the product radar stage:   If you'd like to see this functionality built into Canvas, please add your vote and feedback to the feature idea.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi again,  @rramirez . Currently, and by design, course cards appear in alphabetical order on the Dashboard, so you can't rearrange them. However, you can choose which ones show on the Dashboard. Many teachers like to show only their current courses (e.g. their Fall 2016 courses) on the Dashboard, and then go on to re-customize the Dashboard view when the new term starts. You'll find more about this in How do I customize my Courses list?

You can also give your course cards nicknames, as described in How do I create a nickname for a course?

When I said you can't rearrange the course cards, what I meant is that Canvas doesn't provide that functionality out of the box. The estimable  @James ​ has created a nifty script that will allow you to drag and drop the course cards wherever you want them to be, and you'll find that detailed in Sorting Dashboard Course Cards  I am far from a programmer, but it took me well under a minute to install it.

Last, this is the subject of a popular feature idea that is currently in the product radar stage:   If you'd like to see this functionality built into Canvas, please add your vote and feedback to the feature idea.

View solution in original post

rramirez
Community Participant

Hello Stefanie,

Thank you very much for all this information. I'll try to install the program Sorting Dashboard Course Cards. This is basically what I was looking for. If I can make it work, then I have my case solved. If I, on the other hand, cannot make it work, then I'll do what you suggested... meaning, I hide the courses that I don't need anymore once the current semester is over, and keep showing only those courses that will be for the coming spring semester.

Thanks,

Ruben D Ramirez