cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natalee_desotel
Community Participant

How can I require students to enter 100 words into a text box?

Jump to solution

I'd like to add a "quiz" to a course which is simply a free-form text box. However, I would like students to be required to enter 100 words before proceeding. Their answers will not be individually reviewed (this is a course for thousands of students), but I want to ensure they have at least reflected on the question. What can I do? Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

This is not possible with the legacy Quizzes. However, it is possible to create an essay question with Quizzes.Next that requires a specific word count. How do I create an Essay question in Quizzes.Next? 

Canvas is not developing for the old Quizzes anymore. You can mix Quizzes and Quizzes.Next, so if your institution has enabled Quizzes.Next, the easiest way may be to use Quizzes.Next for this one assignment (if you're not ready to move everything over to it).

There are a couple of ways I can think of to do this without Quizzes.Next, but none that are built into Canvas and both require the ability to write computer programs.

By the way, requiring 100 words without doing some kind of check doesn't mean that they reflected on the question. It might mean that they copy/pasted some text from somewhere. I have a statement in my syllabus that if a grading discrepancy is found, I will change your grade and it may go up or down. That way students have been warned that if they try to cheat the system, they won't get the points for it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
James
Community Champion

This is not possible with the legacy Quizzes. However, it is possible to create an essay question with Quizzes.Next that requires a specific word count. How do I create an Essay question in Quizzes.Next? 

Canvas is not developing for the old Quizzes anymore. You can mix Quizzes and Quizzes.Next, so if your institution has enabled Quizzes.Next, the easiest way may be to use Quizzes.Next for this one assignment (if you're not ready to move everything over to it).

There are a couple of ways I can think of to do this without Quizzes.Next, but none that are built into Canvas and both require the ability to write computer programs.

By the way, requiring 100 words without doing some kind of check doesn't mean that they reflected on the question. It might mean that they copy/pasted some text from somewhere. I have a statement in my syllabus that if a grading discrepancy is found, I will change your grade and it may go up or down. That way students have been warned that if they try to cheat the system, they won't get the points for it.

View solution in original post