cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbhouse
Community Member

How can I see my original revisions and comments on first drafts once final drafts have been submitted?

For a particular revisable assignment in my course, I have suddenly come to realize that once I receive the final draft, I can no longer see all the corrections and revisions and comments that I had so painstakingly crafted for the first drafts. The rubrics are intact with my scoring and my assignment comments, but I can't figure out how I can still view all the mark-ups I had made on the first drafts. I would really like to see what I had said in detail about the first draft. I have had two revised drafts submitted so far, and I can't see anything beyond the "clean" first draft for either one. Please tell me if this problem can be corrected.

5 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jbhouse ‌ - Your previous comments in the SpeedGrader DocViewer should have saved automatically and are accessible by clicking the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of SpeedGrader that is illustrated in this online lesson, under the Evaluate Multiple Submissions heading: How do I view the details of a submission for a student in SpeedGrader?  

By the way, I should add that it is important to bear in mind that students can not see your earlier comments once they re-submit something.  This has been an issue for some time and you can still vote up a Feature Idea to that effect here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1076-student-view-view-submissions-and-comments-for-all-submis... .  Students should often be told to save the annotated version once they see your initial comments, as shown in this student lesson under the Download File heading: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10542-4212352349 

If, however, you are already viewing the previous submissions as outlined above and they don't have your comments, you should submit a support case to Canvas, since (as I said) these should be saving automatically.

I hope this helps, John!

kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jbhouse ‌ - I'm checking in with you again, because a similar question to yours just now popped up:  https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/27256-how-do-i-see-my-speedgrader-annotations-on-prior-submis...   If your experience matches David's in that question, you may very well have to report this to Instructure.  This assumes that what is described above does not help.

jbhouse
Community Member

Good morning Ken,

Thank you for your update on the problem involving the ability to see my original revisions and comments on first drafts once a resubmission is uploaded. Unfortunately, I spent a lot of time with a Canvas support person a couple of days ago, and I finally had to hang up because I couldn't wait for the person to return to the conversation. I had to prepare to teach my class.

The problem remains, and it matches what other instructors are experiencing. It's a new problem because there was no such issue last spring semester, for example. I have tried to download the original submission thinking that the comments would be visible that way, but the result is the same. Nothing shows up on the document; just the original draft with no markup to be seen.

In addition, it seems that when a student submits the final draft and I click on the "view rubric" button, the old rubric comes up with my scores intact, but my assignment comments, which are often quite long and helpful, are not fully visible on the screen. It's like the edges are cut off. Only when I click on "Download comments" can I see everything that is in that box.

These problems are making grading important assignments much harder and time-consuming than they should be, and I would really appreciate some help with these issues.

Thank you for your assistance and have a good day,

John House

John B. House, Lecturer

IEOP Computer Lab (LLC) Coordinator

Intensive English and Orientation Program

Iowa State University

105 Landscape Architecture

Ames, IA 50011

jbhouse@iastate.edu

Ph. 515-294-2865

kblack
Community Champion

Thank YOU for the update, John!  This appears to be something new, as you said.  Be sure to keep an eye on this Community, as well, in case others report things or find if there's a work-around until it's solved.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jbhouse ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie