cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chad_harris
Community Participant

How can I take away permission for Course Teacher role to delete course and/or reset content?

The Teacher role includes a button on the "Settings" page to allow the instructor to "Delete Course," and another option to "Reset Course Content."  For both these options, it's very easy for an instructor, while building their course, to accidentally delete all their content.  This can potentially be a problem.  I don't want instructors to have this option, although I do want to allow them to edit and delete individual items if needed. 

Can I somehow turn this option off for all instructors in the Course Teacher role?

24 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @chad_harris .  You are correct.  While those options can be very helpful, they also could cause problems if used mistakenly.  I am going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=6bd571a7-0f28-4d28-8029-b92baa624c2...‌ group as well in case an individual there has insight, since this would be something done at the administrator level.

Best wishes.

jbuchholz
Community Contributor

Chad,

The short answer is that you can remove the permission, but you also remove the ability to publish and conclude courses as well. We did something similar when we removed the ability for teachers to cross-list courses. We had issues in the past, so we now ask them to go through our department if they want to cross-list courses.

I would look at the role permissions or ask your csm to walk you through what each permissions allows users to do. There is also a great page in Canvas Guides that talks about the permissions. What user roles and permissions are available in Canvas? This is also a great resource. https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf 

You can also test out new settings in your test account and see what works for you and your institution.

Jesse

jenny_millea
Community Participant

Jesse, we have the same problem at University of Canberra. I have looked at hte permissions, but the only thing I can see is page 4, where it references Change Course State, but it is not clear that Reset course content is bundled in this permission. Could you confirm that it is? or that it is not? (ie is that 'Permanently Delete this Course) - which is not the same language as reset course content.  

Change course state

Default Role Status Student TA Teacher Designer Observer * *

Feature What it Does Course Allows user to publish, conclude, and delete courses.

Additional Considerations

Feature Related Information Course Settings Affects viewing the Publish Course, Conclude Course, and Permanently Delete this Course buttons. The Permanently Delete this Course button only appears for manually created courses. Course Setup Checklist, Course Homepage Determines whether a Publish Course option is included in the Course Setup Checklist and in the Course Home Page.

We have then discovered that it is in the Account permissions and clustered in the Add/Edit/Delete sites permission.

But it also seems that the reset course content is available to anyone with an instructor role (which is Course level). But you have suggested it can be turned off. Could you advise? 

chad_harris
Community Participant

Thank you for passing that along, Eric, much obliged.

Chad Harris

chad_harris
Community Participant

Thank you for that resource, Jesse.  I'll check that out. 

Chad

jbuchholz
Community Contributor

Jen,

I do not believe that the "Reset Course Content" button is bundled with this. The reset button is something that we encourage faculty here to use especially within their master shells or sandboxes.  This feature allows a faculty to get a fresh start to the areas in which we have provided them to work or play in.  We do not encourage this type of behavior in our production environment and we haven't run into anything yet that has been problematic. (knock on wood).

We have really tried to over-communicate what certain features do so faculty are aware that inadvertent button pushing can have lasting consequences. However, with the use of Master shells within our instance, things are never really gone and most of the time course information can either be recovered or undeleted.

I hope this answers your question. If not, I am happy to elaborate or dig into this further for you.

Jesse

jbuchholz
Community Contributor

Chad,

Let me know if you need anything. Always happy to help.

Jesse

chad_harris
Community Participant

I believe I found the answer in the PDF that Jesse provided above, thank you Jesse.  The course level permission in question is "Change Course State."  When this permission is taken away from the "teacher" role, the teacher can no longer "conclude," "delete," or "publish" a course from within the course.  These three things should be unbundled - we want teachers to be able to publish their own course (those who design on their own and do not work with an ID), but I can't think of any instance where an instructor would want to delete all their work at once, from the settings page inside the course.  We want to be able to disable this, while still giving the instructor the function to publish when they're finished. 

An instructor should never be able to "inadvertently" delete all their content from within the course they're designing, I can't see how that makes any sense at all.  Instructors should be able to click around without "inadvertently" committing a critical error and erasing weeks worth of work.  It's like designing a big red button that says "Do not press this button!" 

I can consider this question answered for now, but it seems that this particular permission needs to be reconfigured by the design team.

vanzandt
Community Champion

We have used javascript overrides to hide the buttons to all except admins. I don't personally have the technical detail, but I found another thread in the community that shares some code snippets and also discusses CSS options.  Hope this helps...

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/6565