cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alva9570
Community Member

How can I upload a file into a discussion board?

Jump to solution

I need to upload a powerpoint assignment into a discussion board and can't find a place to click to upload my document.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @alva9570  , and welcome to the Canvas Community!

If you teacher has enabled attachments in the Discussion, you will see a paperclip icon in the bottom right of your reply editor. If you don't see the paperclip, ask your instructor.  You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10687-4212189819 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

abunag
Community Champion

Hello Brittany, and welcome to the Canvas community boards.  Based on your question, I'm assuming you're a student attempting to complete a task assigned to you by your instructor.  I'm also going to assume you're using a traditional browser (Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, Safari) and not using the App.  If you are using the App, please feel free to correct me.

Its likely that the instructor failed to turn on the option for students to attach files to their discussion posts for the course.  Please ask the instructor to do that.  They may need the instructions, so consider providing the following steps to them:

Go to the course's Settings page.

On the Course Details tab, scroll all the way to the bottom

Click "More Options"

Check the box for Let students attach files to discussions

Click the "Update Course Details" button

I'd also suggest the instructor post a course announcement so others who are confused know there's been a change and can now post their attachment.

2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @alva9570  , and welcome to the Canvas Community!

If you teacher has enabled attachments in the Discussion, you will see a paperclip icon in the bottom right of your reply editor. If you don't see the paperclip, ask your instructor.  You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10687-4212189819 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

abunag
Community Champion

Hello Brittany, and welcome to the Canvas community boards.  Based on your question, I'm assuming you're a student attempting to complete a task assigned to you by your instructor.  I'm also going to assume you're using a traditional browser (Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, Safari) and not using the App.  If you are using the App, please feel free to correct me.

Its likely that the instructor failed to turn on the option for students to attach files to their discussion posts for the course.  Please ask the instructor to do that.  They may need the instructions, so consider providing the following steps to them:

Go to the course's Settings page.

On the Course Details tab, scroll all the way to the bottom

Click "More Options"

Check the box for Let students attach files to discussions

Click the "Update Course Details" button

I'd also suggest the instructor post a course announcement so others who are confused know there's been a change and can now post their attachment.