cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asermersheim
Community Member

How can a student reset their password using the free version?

I have a student who can log-in. He had an account last school year and upon returning has not been able to log in. When we submit a ¨Forgot My Password¨ request he receives an email that states the following:

You requested a confirmation of your password for logging into Canvas.

This address is associated with the login, "116010470220868212736".

The password for this login should have been given to you by the system administrators at Free For Teachers, and Instructure doesn't have access to your password. If your password is not working, please contact the system administrators about changing or verifying your password.

Tags (1)
8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Are you going to this link - Log In to Canvas - and clicking on the "Forgot Password." If so and this is the email your student is getting then you would probably want to contact Canvas Support to see if they can help (click on Help in Canvas and Report a Problem).

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, asermersheim...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community on August 19th.  I wanted to check in with you to see if you've had an opportunity to review the response that you received from  @kona ‌ on August 21st.  If so, have you tried contacting the folks at Canvas Support to see if they'd be able to help you?  If you've contacted them, what was the outcome of that conversation?  Since we've not heard from you and since there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost two months, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions/comments below related to this topic.  Hoping that's aright with you, Alyssa.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

I have a similar challenge... the student goes through the "I forgot password" route, but isn't getting an email. I also logged a ticket and am waiting to hear back - no response yet. She is sure she only has one email, but we have no way of seeing how her account was set up because we can't get into it.... Canvas... Anyone... please help :-)!

We are hosting our own instance of Canvas and have the same issue: parent observers cannot reset their email from the login page "Forgot Password?" button. The response is that 

"The password for this login should have been given to you by the system administrators at HLS Schools and Programs, and Instructure doesn't have access to your password. If your password is not working, please contact the system administrators about changing or verifying your password."

Is there a way to enable parent observers to edit their own password?
Thank you!

professornunosa
Community Member

im having the exact same problem with many students. what is the solution to this?

I'm having the same problem as Tanya - students insist that they don't see an email when they click the "Forgot Password" option and enter their email, and in some instances I watch them enter the same email address that I have for their account, and we still don't see a password reset email arrive.  I set up a fake student account for myself, and when I reset the password for that one, I instantly receive the password reset email, and everything works perfectly.  

It's really irritating, because my high school students get frustrated and start assuming that Canvas isn't user-friendly because they can't get their logins squared away.  How do we get past this?  It shouldn't be that hard!

jocube
Community Member

I have the same problem. Why does this happen? How can I solve that? I already tried removing the student and adding it again but the problem continues.

chava
Community Member

I am also having this problem suddenly. I'm an admin for our account and now students either aren't receiving the reset emails at all or if the email is received it's now saying to contact the system admin to change the password. We haven't changed any settings and I can't find any way to revert back to allowing students to reset their own passwords, so I don't think this has been fully resolved for at least some of us...