The ability to create a new community profile is temporarily unavailable. We're on it!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delester
Community Participant

How can a student see the date their course/section ends?

Jump to solution

I have a course with multiple sections that run every four weeks. Students must complete the course by the section end date. How can students see that date?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

In most cases this information will not be visible in Canvas. You would need to notify the students or post the information yourself somewhere in Canvas.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

In most cases this information will not be visible in Canvas. You would need to notify the students or post the information yourself somewhere in Canvas.

View solution in original post

delester
Community Participant

Thanks for your reply, Kona. I am sure this works well in college and k-12 environments where the start and end dates of courses (semesters) is well-known.

In our Continuing Studies program, students are enrolled on a rolling basis (typically once or twice a month) into different sections that set the availability of the course. Consequently, putting dates into the course content is impractical, and students often do not complete the course by the end date. This results in a support ticket asking why they can't access their course, and manual intervention to extend their access time.

Since we are unable to post announcements by section, we are unable to notify students that an end date is nearing.

We are also unable to display modules or content pages by section, so that doesn't work either.

There should be a way for a student to see when that student's "course" (section) begins and ends.

I'm going to look at how this might be accomplished with ungraded differentiated assignments, but I think this is important information that should be made visible to the student automatically. I'll post a feature request.

Thanks

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@delester ​, I work in Higher Ed and we tell our students to check their individual schedules - from when they register for classes. It contains all of the start/end dates for their courses. Good luck figuring out a work around and if you do find something that works please let us know! I'm sure there are others out there using Canvas in a similar manner that would find this information useful!