How can faculty link their courses to their teaching ePortfolio?

Jump to solution
loretta_howard
Community Member

I am an adjunct faculty member wanting to use the ePortfolio tool for my submission for advancement.

I have created the main sections I want in my portfolio.

I would like to highlight courses I teach and the course sites, process, and product created in each. To that end, is there a way that I can create a "Courses Taught" section and include links to my courses (which are also within Canvas).

For instance:

Course one (link to course)

Course two (link to course)

etc.

If I can do that, what other considerations to I need to set up for? For example, do I need to make the advancement committee members "People" in the courses I am linking them to? Is that possible if the course was taught last year or two years ago?

If I can't somehow link my courses within my ePortfolio, what is the best solution for the committee to see my work that doesn't require me to duplicate all sorts of things in my ePortfolio?

Sorry for the long question. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you!

Loretta

0 Likes
1 Solution
tbirbeck
Community Participant

There are several ways to accomplish your goal.  Based on some of the variables you mention (different terms, committee member access, etc.)  I think the easiest, most consistent way to proceed would be to make a "public*" copy of the course and post the link to your ePortfolio.  Anyone with the link could view the course. As long as you don't include the course in the public course index, only those with whom you share the link could see it. 

1. In the SETTINGS section of a course, choose MAKE A COPY. Consider starting the names of all of your ePortfoilo courses consistently so they sort together in your course list. 
  2. In the SETTINGS/COURSE DETAILS tab of your new copy, change the visibility to PUBLIC*.  Don't check the box next to "Include this course in the public course index".
  3. Click the UPDATE COURSE SETTINGS button a the bottom of the page. 
  4. Return to the course Home page.  

The course homepage URL is the link you can post to your ePortfolio to share.  This link will not require a canvas account.  

*If you wish to have a little more secure link and you are sure all of your viewers have canvas accounts in your institution, you could choose INSTITUTION.  The link would still only grant view access, but viewers would need to sign in to their institution Canvas accounts to access. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes