cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maza1
Community Member

How can files uploaded into a module be directly routed into subdirectories?

Jump to solution

We teach the same class semester-to-semester and frequently use the prior semesters materials for the current semester so organization of them is really important.  How can files uploaded to Module "A" be automatically directed into subdirectory "A" instead of being deposited into the parent directory?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @maza1  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  It sounds like you are adding files to your module using the procedure outlined here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12689-415241427  Any files you upload this way should get placed in a folder in your "Files" area.  Also, when you select a file to add to a module, you should also be able to specify which folder you'd like that file to be saved to.  I just tried this in my own sandbox course, and it worked as expected.  The other option would be to first create folders and files in your "Files" area of the course.  Then, go to your "Modules" page.  You can then use the directions in the Guide I linked to pick your file that you want for that module without having to re-upload it again.  Does this help?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @maza1  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  It sounds like you are adding files to your module using the procedure outlined here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12689-415241427  Any files you upload this way should get placed in a folder in your "Files" area.  Also, when you select a file to add to a module, you should also be able to specify which folder you'd like that file to be saved to.  I just tried this in my own sandbox course, and it worked as expected.  The other option would be to first create folders and files in your "Files" area of the course.  Then, go to your "Modules" page.  You can then use the directions in the Guide I linked to pick your file that you want for that module without having to re-upload it again.  Does this help?

maza1
Community Member

This does.  I have no issues getting the files to the proper place, but I was trying to figure out if there was a way to set them up to automatically be linked.  The professor I teach with doesn't usually get them filed correctly.