Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbailey8121

How can we make eportfolio/badges visible to (other) instructors?

Seeing advice as our college is preparing to move to Canvas.

We have an orientation to online learning course for new student, which ideally they will take prior to classes started, and their first term students take a college success/FYE course. We want completion of the orientation course shell to issue a badge, and then instructors of the FYE course to be able to check the badge for completion. Because we offer several different sections of the FYE course that the student could end up in (depending on major, various start dates, etc.) and occasionally the responsibility of teaching the FYE course switches among faculty of a department, it would be easiest to just say the badge needs to be visible to all "teachers" in Canvas (or we are willing to create and batch assign an additional role to see the badges -- ex: a new "badge monitors" role -- if needed). 

We've been looking at Accredible as a possible badge solution, which seems to keep badges in the ePortfolio section of canvas. I reached out to their help, but I am told it's probably a Canvas question about visibility rights within this area. We've also looked at Badgr and it seems to be kept in the portfolio area too but not public or on the student's profile.

Basically, does anyone know of a way we can make badges from a course shell (orientation) visible to teachers of other courses? And/or a student's eportfolio default to visible to users of a particular role?

5 Replies
khammond
Partner
Partner

@tbailey8121 ‌ This is possible with our new Pathways tool that is expected to be released very soon, but maybe we can set up a time to talk through your use case to ensure a good workflow. Feel free to contact me directly to set up a time.  Thanks for asking!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tbailey8121 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

khammond
Partner
Partner

We'll be releasing a new feature in a few short weeks as part of our Badgr Pro offering, that will allow instructors to add a view of externally awarded badges to the Progress page of an instructor's course. This is a great solution that allows instructors to confirm completion of orientation courses or code of conduct activities, by displaying them in coursework. Feel free to contact me with questions, I'm happy to demo the feature. 

epobrien

Our university is planning a similar setup where the library is offering information literacy modules to be added to several undergraduate courses. We want faculty to be able to find out quickly if the student has already completed the info literacy modules in one of their other courses.

Are there any alternatives for this setup? We tested Badgr and we tried setting up Learning Mastery Gradebook, but they do not have a way to quickly view whether students have already completed the course. Ideally, we would not want faculty to add anything else to canvas other than the info literacy course itself. 

Thanks!

Emily

Hi  @epobrien ‌ - If I understand your use case, I think you could accomplish this with a Badgr Pro for Canvas feature that tracks external badge awards.