cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tobe_baeyens
Community Contributor

How can you get a notification when a student added a new comment to a graded group discussion?

Jump to solution

I've created a discussion in Canvas that is

1. a group discussion
  2. graded

When students participate in their groups I get notifications that students submitted their work.

After I grade a group discussion, students can still add new comments, but I don't get notified anymore.

• I can't see any change in the gradebook
  • I can't see any change in speedgrader
  • I can't subscribe to the discussion

The only place I can see that something has posted is in the discussion itself.

So my question is: How can I get a notification when a student added a new comment to a graded group discussion?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tobe_baeyens , as far as I'm aware, grading the discussion shouldn't impact you getting notified that the student participated in the discussion (added a comment). I know I still get notifications after I've graded. You might want to contact Canvas Support and see if they know what's going on with this. To do this click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem. 

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tobe_baeyens , as far as I'm aware, grading the discussion shouldn't impact you getting notified that the student participated in the discussion (added a comment). I know I still get notifications after I've graded. You might want to contact Canvas Support and see if they know what's going on with this. To do this click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem. 

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post

kleslie
Community Participant

Tobe, I believe I know exactly what you mean. For me, I want to be notified in my GRADING to do list that a student has added more to the discussion, and thus needs to be re-scored. I have not found a setting to fix this, however I have a work around: If a student participates in a graded discussion and does not earn full points, I always share a COMMENT that says something like, "Please let me know with a comment if you decide to add more to this discussion; Canvas will not notify me to adjust your score otherwise." Students will often improve their posts and then leave me a comment letting me know, and I can dive back in to the discussion and adjust their score accordingly. Of course this requires that I have my notifications set to email me when a comment is made by a student. Hope this helps!