cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtechknow
Community Member

How can you log into the canvas student app using a google account?

Jump to solution

How can you log into the canvas student app using a google account?

I am trying to but it is not working.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jtechknow ‌, 

Are you a student or an admin? Also, what school or institution are accessing Canvas through? This will help us help you. Thanks!

View solution in original post

dgilogley
Community Participant

@jtechknow  Do you have Canvas auth in position #1 and then Google in a different position?

Meaning when you go to Canvas to login, on the desktop, there is a login box, then below a "Login with Google" option in a box below?

The "Login with Google box" does not display on the mobile browsers, but I've written some JavaScript to fix the issue here: Canvas/Mobile_Google.js at master · Srulis/Canvas · GitHub 

If it's any other method, like Office 365, Ive written some generic JS to be a universal solution: 

-DG

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jtechknow ...

I'm not exactly sure on an answer for you, but to confirm, are you using the directions outlined in one of these Guides?

How do I log in to the Student app on my iOS device? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9755-18555199446 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jtechknow ‌, 

Are you a student or an admin? Also, what school or institution are accessing Canvas through? This will help us help you. Thanks!

dgilogley
Community Participant

@jtechknow  Do you have Canvas auth in position #1 and then Google in a different position?

Meaning when you go to Canvas to login, on the desktop, there is a login box, then below a "Login with Google" option in a box below?

The "Login with Google box" does not display on the mobile browsers, but I've written some JavaScript to fix the issue here: Canvas/Mobile_Google.js at master · Srulis/Canvas · GitHub 

If it's any other method, like Office 365, Ive written some generic JS to be a universal solution: 

-DG

Wow, thanks for sharing this, I'm going to put this in the Canvas Mobile Users Group in case others need it. 

Excuse me if this has been answered somewhere...but where am I dropping this JS?  I don't see where I would add this to allow Google Login to happen on the Canvas Student App in iOS.  Thanks!

Matt

dgilogley
Community Participant

You can upload it using the guide here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10862-4214724282 

Just be careful of the risks involved.

Alternatively, reach out to your CSM and ask for an ADDITIONAL mobile listing that points to your Google Login. You can ask them to differentiate from your existing one by listing it as something like "My School Name (Google Login)".

Perfect thank you.  I had started a chat with support and they suggested the mobile listing...which I can push in the JAMF managed config now so I'm good to go!  But thank you.  I didn't realize I had that much control over the CSS.  That is sweet!  Thank you.