cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheldonj1
Community Contributor

How combine statistics from two quizzes

Jump to solution

The college requires submission by the instructor of statistics for certain quizzes.

I can do that with the download of the statistics spread sheet and combining the total correct columns.

However, I would like to "try" breaking a large quiz into two smaller parts.

The pedagogical term is known as "chunking".   And, it produces increased scores.

However, this then presents two separate sets of data when one set of data is required.

I can, of course, to repeat, combine the columns from the spreadsheets for the two small quizzes.

I did a thorough search here using phrases such as "can I combine statistics from multiple quizzes" and found no pertinent comment.

Discussion: 

This is quite possibly a unique situation for Missouri.  We have state mandated metrics which must be met from K - "first year of college" and the "years of college" will slowly creep upward as the years progress.  This is all the result of a law passed decades ago.

And.....we do NOT need to get into a discussion about having "exit tests", this is a question about methodology not philosophy.

So, quite simply:

a) is there a method whereby this can be done within the statistics function or some other place and I just could not find it.

b) if there is no such function is this of sufficient interest that such a function should be provided; ( again this may be a situation unique to few states and the allocation of Canvas developer resources might be better placed elsewhere).

BB does not have this capability either.

Hey, I think that Canvas is just "the cat's meow"! Smiley Happy

Any comments will, of course be welcome and read.

James

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Hi

Thank you very much for the prompt and pertinent reply!

LOL I keep seeing the breathless discussion by those who have no clue about "smart" things.  These things have a very set piece "question statement" / "answer statement" suite of data and the title of the above mentioned post has only the word quiz which is the same as my query statement.  lol

Lotsa fun! Smiley Happy

I could see from the discussion that this really is something in which Canvas developers would have to somehow build a "quiz app" in which the teacher would have to supply questions of a consistent "type" ( so that the spreadsheet could "hold" them " and then the quiz app would have to have to have the capability for the teacher to select several sections and the app then would deploy to multiple desired sections.

And, as one poster mentioned, this is not as simple as it seems.  Something like this requires the interaction with "a user" in most cases and is not necessarily "automatic".

The linking through multiple layers of spreadsheets to yet again another spreadsheet (read database) would be ... lotsa fun to watch! lol

An associated problem which was mentioned was there would have to be the same number of students in each section because spreadsheets tend to strangle on "blank cells".

Basically the statistics part of it would have to "invert" the data from a student orientation to a question orientation which is the point of the situation but it all gets very convoluted code-wise.

So, given that the best present option is for the instructor to extract information from the presently provided spreadsheet, I might comment:

I think that the best workaround for this is that the teacher would probably have to do a couple of things AHEAD of time.

A) download a present quiz from two sections and save them with some convenient names.  Open and then resave with ANOTHER convenient name ( for backup in case the teacher muddles the data in the downloaded originals).

B) LEARN how to COPY and PASTE a salient column from each quiz into another spreadsheet

C) LEARN AND PRACTICE how to copy and paste the two columns into another spreadsheet.

D) LEARN AND PRACTICE how to create a column which is the combined totals of the two aforementioned columns.

E) LEARN  AND PRACTICE how to copy the columns of data and then paste it into whatever data collection app that the college uses or it may be a simple as e-mailing the data to a third party such as a lead teacher or data collection centre.

F) a related topic of concern for the "learn and practice" is that one will have to learn how to create a column which has the "number" of each question associated with the correct totals for the question.  This is not as simple as it sounds depending upon the labels which are placed in the top row(s) which will "shove things down" compared to the fixed numeration in the spreadsheet itself.  Some spreadsheets have relatively straightforward top row labels. 

Fundamentally, this requires deleting whatever upper rows that are not pertinent to the labeling information of the spreadsheet.  The simplistic answer to this is to manually type in labels such as section number / year / semester / in cells to the side of the columns.

F) An ancillary topic is that some reporting systems to have data which is not the number of correct responses but the number of INcorrect responses.  There is, indeed, such a column in the provided statistics so that these would be used instead of the columns for positive responses.  This, of course, is something that the teacher will have to work closely upon with the college's data collection people or lead teachers.

It may be that there are others who can share their experiences using spreadsheets for this or that has information about the requirements of different states or whatever which can provide context to the situation.

So, Kona, thank you very much for your prompt and pertinent reply. Smiley Happy

I think that this question might be marked as answered.

James Sheldon

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sheldonj1 , there was a discussion on this last week that you might find interesting - https://community.canvaslms.com/message/70166-im-looking-to-quiz-across-multiple-courses-how-should-... 

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Hi

Thank you very much for the prompt and pertinent reply!

LOL I keep seeing the breathless discussion by those who have no clue about "smart" things.  These things have a very set piece "question statement" / "answer statement" suite of data and the title of the above mentioned post has only the word quiz which is the same as my query statement.  lol

Lotsa fun! Smiley Happy

I could see from the discussion that this really is something in which Canvas developers would have to somehow build a "quiz app" in which the teacher would have to supply questions of a consistent "type" ( so that the spreadsheet could "hold" them " and then the quiz app would have to have to have the capability for the teacher to select several sections and the app then would deploy to multiple desired sections.

And, as one poster mentioned, this is not as simple as it seems.  Something like this requires the interaction with "a user" in most cases and is not necessarily "automatic".

The linking through multiple layers of spreadsheets to yet again another spreadsheet (read database) would be ... lotsa fun to watch! lol

An associated problem which was mentioned was there would have to be the same number of students in each section because spreadsheets tend to strangle on "blank cells".

Basically the statistics part of it would have to "invert" the data from a student orientation to a question orientation which is the point of the situation but it all gets very convoluted code-wise.

So, given that the best present option is for the instructor to extract information from the presently provided spreadsheet, I might comment:

I think that the best workaround for this is that the teacher would probably have to do a couple of things AHEAD of time.

A) download a present quiz from two sections and save them with some convenient names.  Open and then resave with ANOTHER convenient name ( for backup in case the teacher muddles the data in the downloaded originals).

B) LEARN how to COPY and PASTE a salient column from each quiz into another spreadsheet

C) LEARN AND PRACTICE how to copy and paste the two columns into another spreadsheet.

D) LEARN AND PRACTICE how to create a column which is the combined totals of the two aforementioned columns.

E) LEARN  AND PRACTICE how to copy the columns of data and then paste it into whatever data collection app that the college uses or it may be a simple as e-mailing the data to a third party such as a lead teacher or data collection centre.

F) a related topic of concern for the "learn and practice" is that one will have to learn how to create a column which has the "number" of each question associated with the correct totals for the question.  This is not as simple as it sounds depending upon the labels which are placed in the top row(s) which will "shove things down" compared to the fixed numeration in the spreadsheet itself.  Some spreadsheets have relatively straightforward top row labels. 

Fundamentally, this requires deleting whatever upper rows that are not pertinent to the labeling information of the spreadsheet.  The simplistic answer to this is to manually type in labels such as section number / year / semester / in cells to the side of the columns.

F) An ancillary topic is that some reporting systems to have data which is not the number of correct responses but the number of INcorrect responses.  There is, indeed, such a column in the provided statistics so that these would be used instead of the columns for positive responses.  This, of course, is something that the teacher will have to work closely upon with the college's data collection people or lead teachers.

It may be that there are others who can share their experiences using spreadsheets for this or that has information about the requirements of different states or whatever which can provide context to the situation.

So, Kona, thank you very much for your prompt and pertinent reply. Smiley Happy

I think that this question might be marked as answered.

James Sheldon

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for talking us through your thought process on this!