cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sclegg
Community Participant

How come I do not have the option to enable auto-open for inline preview in Rich Content Editor?

Jump to solution

I just read the article on how to enable to auto-open for inline preview but I simply do not have that option.  Is there a reason why?  I have included a screen shot so that you can see. Currently with the new interface, students can not see the pdf without downloading it.

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 2.46.48 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Community Champion

Hey sclegg​, I have had issues with pdf's before not registering as a file that the in-line preview supports. The fix I used was to remove the file from the course and upload it again. When you say it has worked fine for other users did they try it with exactly the same pdf as you used or were they using a different pdf? My suspicion is that it has something to do with that file or the way it got processed when it was uploaded.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

sclegg, it's hard to know for sure, but from your screenshot it looks like you are on the first step of the process. After you click on "Update Link" in the dialog box to insert the file, you must then, while you're still in Edit mode, click on the link in the Rich Content Editor and then on the Web Link (chain icon) in the RCE. That will open a new dialog box:

auto-open-for-inline-preview-dialog.png

This is the part in the process where you will see the "Auto-open the inline preview for this link" option.

In case anyone else should run across this question, I'll post the link to the relevant Canvas guide: How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for Files using the Rich Content Editor?

josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

Hi Stephanie,

I just had this problem a few minutes ago. I fixed it by refreshing the page. It may be a temporary bug.

Hope this helps,

Josh

Ha, Josh--Occam's Razor strikes again! :smileylaugh:

Stephanie, did either of these solutions work for you?​

sclegg
Community Participant

Stefanie, No nothing has worked so far.  What is even more frustrating is, I went and showed two other teachers how it works and it worked just fine on their accounts.  I have tried both Firefox and Chrome and neither is giving me the option.  I will keep trying.

sclegg, since you've been able to determine that this is something that is only happening for you, you would probably be best served to submit a help ticket by clicking on the help button (lower left on the new UI, upper right on the old UI) and selecting the Report a Problem option. A Canvas support tech can help troubleshoot the particulars of your course, Canvas instance/account, and software/hardware to see why you can't use this (very helpful) feature.

sclegg

I would also recommend logging out of Canvas, clear your browser cache and cookies, close the browser, then reopen it and log back into Canvas.  See if this will reset things for you.  (Josh's experience leads me to believe this may help)

Delete your cache, history, and other browser data - Chrome Help

awilliams
Community Champion

Hey sclegg​, I have had issues with pdf's before not registering as a file that the in-line preview supports. The fix I used was to remove the file from the course and upload it again. When you say it has worked fine for other users did they try it with exactly the same pdf as you used or were they using a different pdf? My suspicion is that it has something to do with that file or the way it got processed when it was uploaded.

View solution in original post

sclegg
Community Participant

Thanks Adam Williams, that did the trick.  I will have to delete all of my files and re-upload them.

awilliams
Community Champion

Before going that far, I would check to make sure the others are problematic first. Glad you are getting them to work though.