How do I access a group as "test student" or the student role of a dual-role teacher?

pritchm
Community Novice

I'm trying to communicate with my students in groups by sending messages to the groups.  But apparently they are not all seeing the messages.  They do see announcements I think, or at least they are looking for announcements.

I'm experimenting with other options in my sandbox where I'm set up a student as well as a teacher (dual roles).

The issues (any of which if solved probably leads to the solution) are:

• I can't figure out how to login as the student in my University of Washington Canvas account.
  • I can't add "test student" to a group.
  • I can't create a student user at the UW that isn't already in their list of IDs

As an alternative, I'm trying to do something similar on the Canvas public site where I have a test course set up.  I finally figured out that the reason nothing was happening with the invitations was because the course hadn't been published.  After that I had trouble because the interface looks a little different, but I think I finally have it set up.  Now I'm waiting for Canvas to send me (the made up students) a message about what I posted.

Meanwhile, I'd still like the answers to the issues so I can do my experiments in the UW Canvas account.  And, I think I've found a better way to do what I wanted without an assignment.  Does it make sense to send individual announcements to each Project team?  Are they any more likely to be seen by students than emails from Canvas?

Thanks

Mike