cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diana_nanos
Community Member

How do I access attached documents I've received in emails/conversations from the inbox section of Canvas/Quercus?

My TA has attached a word document to an email and I cannot access it. I do not know where to find it.

4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @diana_nanos  , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

First, always keep in mind that Canvas does not have email, and this is important because thinking of it as email can lead to expectations of email functionality.  This guide How do I attach a file to a message as an instructor? states that

"Attachments appear in your user files in the Conversation Attachments folder and count against the files limit for your account."

You can see this folder in my own Files area in the screenshot below..............

298409_pastedImage_5.png

As you can see, this is just one example of how Inbox/Conversations is not email.

Kelley

kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @diana_nanos  Welcome to the Canvas Community. The attachment in your Canvas Inbox should be at the bottom of the message, somewhat as what is illustrated on the very last screen capture on this guide: How do I attach a file to a message as an instructor? 

However, there has been a long-running issue with attachments sent from external email clients.  IF your TA was replying to a message that you had originally sent via the Canvas Inbox and was using an external email client (such as Outlook) then the attachment will not go through.  My guess is that this may be what happened in this case.  While this should have been somewhat explained within the message itself, not everyone will spot it.  You may be interested in voting up this Feature Idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4746-attachments-to-inbox-from-external-email .  I hope this helps, Diana!

(Oh, and see  @kmeeusen ‌'s better explanation of how Canvas works, above!  Smiley Happy )

Not better,  @kblack ‌, just different, which is one of the joys of information tech - there are many paths to Nirvana!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @diana_nanos ...

Both  @kmeeusen  and  @kblack  have given you great responses.  Rather than marking one of their answers as "Correct", I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because they've both provided helpful information.  However, if you feel that you'd like to mark one of their responses as "Correct", please feel free to do so.