cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kabrown2
Community Member

How do I add a rubric to an assignment that is using a Google Doc through the Launch External Tool feature?

Jump to solution

I provide my students with a Google Doc that is already set up in MLA format for essay assignments. However, I am having a difficult time figuring out how to attach a rubric to the same assignment when I am using this feature. Any assistance or advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kabrown Thank You for posting your question.  While  @9927744 's suggestion of using an Excel spreadsheet may work for your needs, it is actually possible to attach a Canvas rubric to a LTI tool such as Google Docs and use it for grading.  You'll want to check out this Feature Idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4160-lti-external-tools-ability-to-add-rubric" modifiedtitle="..., for the basic "how to".  And, if you feel that this is something that you'd like to see implemented in Canvas, I would encourage you to add your vote and maybe even post a comment to the bottom of that conversation thread letting Instructure know why something like this would be important to you.  I hope this will be of help to you, Kadeshia.  Please let me know if you have questions about this.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Community Champion

Kadesia, welcome!  I'm not as familiar with Google docs as my county is an Office county, however, have you thought of making your rubric in an Excel-type spreadsheet and adding this to the document?  I usually make my rubrics in Excel because I find it easier to change the spacing of the boxes.  Best of luck!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kabrown Thank You for posting your question.  While  @9927744 's suggestion of using an Excel spreadsheet may work for your needs, it is actually possible to attach a Canvas rubric to a LTI tool such as Google Docs and use it for grading.  You'll want to check out this Feature Idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4160-lti-external-tools-ability-to-add-rubric" modifiedtitle="..., for the basic "how to".  And, if you feel that this is something that you'd like to see implemented in Canvas, I would encourage you to add your vote and maybe even post a comment to the bottom of that conversation thread letting Instructure know why something like this would be important to you.  I hope this will be of help to you, Kadeshia.  Please let me know if you have questions about this.

View solution in original post