cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcooper3
Community Member

How do I add an external link?

I want to add a link for Citation Machine and Citation Maker for a research paper.  I am new to Canvas, but familiar with Blackboard.  I finally managed to put the link on a Word Document and then upload it to a folder in files.  Is there a better or easier way to add a link?

2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rcooper3  Welcome  to Canvas and the Canvas Community!

Finally, an easy question that I might almost be qualified to answer:-}

Yes, there are several ways, depending on how you want to use the link, and how you design your courses.

• The easiest way if you use Modules (and you should), is to simply add an External URL content type into your module.  Learn how at How do I add an external URL as a module item? 
  • You can also add an external link as a course navigation menu item if it is a website your students would frequently use during the term. You would do this using the Redirect Tool, and you can learn how in this great YouTube video, Canvas Redirect Tool - YouTube 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @rcooper3 ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question on February 28, 2018.  It looks like  @kmeeusen  provided you with some feedback and links later that morning.  Have you had a chance to review his reply?  If so, did his feedback help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions as it relates to your above question?  If you feel that Kelley has answered your question, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance with this question, please go ahead and post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Robert.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.