Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kstubbs1
Community Member

How do I add another child to the parent app?

Jump to solution

I created an account for the parent app and first added my 9th-grade son. That worked fine, but I do not see how to add my 12th-grade son so that I can follow both from the mobile app. I have no trouble following both when logged in to Canvas from my laptop.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

With that newest email address, you will have to use the browser, not the app, to add your other student to your Observer account (and Canvas Parent). How do I link a student to my user account as an observer?‌ is a great guide that will walk you through that process.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi -

If you see both of your sons from the dashboard on the browser, you should be able to see both in Canvas Parent as well.

Is your app up-to-date? That's always a great place to start. Smiley Happy

The guideHow do I use the Canvas Parent app on my iOS device? has a great illustration at the top. Where you see #2, you will be able to select which student's information you view at a time.

Please reply and let the Canvas Community know how things are going. I'd be happy to continue troubleshooting with you.

Well, it's a little complicated. I am a teacher at the same school as my boys. On my laptop, I see both students' accounts from the same account I use to teach my classes. But when I try to log in to the parent app with that account information, the error message states "No Enrollments: You need at least one active observer enrollment to use Canvas Parent." It then encourages me to use the student or teacher app. SO...I created an account with a different email address and added my freshman so that I could access his grades from the parent mobile app. I don't see a way to add a second student. 

With that newest email address, you will have to use the browser, not the app, to add your other student to your Observer account (and Canvas Parent). How do I link a student to my user account as an observer?‌ is a great guide that will walk you through that process.

View solution in original post

Okay, now I'm a little embarrassed that it didn't occur to me to log into Canvas from my laptop with the new parent account I made rather than the teacher account I have. Smiley Happy Thank you, thank you! I needed to know as a parent, but I'm also giving a "back to school" night talk and wanted to talk for a few minutes about the mobile app, so this solution is very much appreciated!

It's totally okay! That's why we are here! The Community is a wonderful place to collaborate. I can honestly say I learn something new every day. You have mentioned you're a teacher! Have you seen the Are There Any Canvas Instructions for Parents conversation or the Parent App How-To Guides? They both have great resources you could share with your students' families. Smiley Happy