cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthew-stuckwi
Community Participant

How do I add comments but not show them to a student?

I would like to add comments for fellow instructors but NOT show them to the student.  I can do this by pausing grade reporting, but that also obviously doesn't give students a grade which I do want to do.

In Blackboard, there were two different types of comments — one visible only to instructors, and one visible two instructor and students.  How do I get this first type of comment in Canvas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @matthew-stuckwi ...

Have you considered enabling the "Notes" column in your Gradebook?  

Please let Community members know if this might meet your needs...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

matthew-stuckwi
Community Participant

Canvas' notes are not remotely a workaround as there is only a single note per student.  If I need to leave a comment for Exam 1, Exam 2, Exam 3, and Homeworks 1 through 20, the notes column will balloon and become generally untenable.  I'm looking for a way to provide comments on each individual assignment that are not visible to students themselves.

@matthew-stuckwi ...

I am sorry that the "Notes" column won't work for your needs.  Unfortunately, there isn't a separate notes column for individual assignments.  This might be a great opportunity for you to submit a new Feature Idea here in the Community so that members have a chance to evaluate it and rate it.  Just click on PRODUCT >> IDEA CONVERSATIONS, and then you'll find a red "Suggest an idea" button on that page where you can create your idea.

Hope this helps a bit...take care...