cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mebutts
Community Member

How do I assign a pdf for my students to edit online?

Jump to solution

I would like to assign my students a pdf that they can annotate and respond to questions without needing to print it. I know we can use the Doc Viewer through speed grader to respond to students when they have submitted a pdf, but is there a way to do the reverse and assign a page that students can mark up directly through Canvas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Melanie Butts ,

In another thread, Annotate PDF from browser, there are a couple of options including Kami! If you scroll on the homepage, you'll notice a tutorial on the Canvas integration.

If you go the Kami route, there a several Kami threads in the community where folks ask various questions and work through usability issues.

Hope you find a solution,

Stay home, stay healthy,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@mebutts  

The discussion Interactive Worksheet has an interesting option in it that you may want to look at.

You may need to try a format other than a PDF so that students could save it, make their changes/additions, then resave and send it back to you without printing it.

Shar
Community Champion

Hi Melanie Butts ,

In another thread, Annotate PDF from browser, there are a couple of options including Kami! If you scroll on the homepage, you'll notice a tutorial on the Canvas integration.

If you go the Kami route, there a several Kami threads in the community where folks ask various questions and work through usability issues.

Hope you find a solution,

Stay home, stay healthy,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

mebutts
Community Member

Thank you for the suggestion, but everything I’ve looked at with Kami indicates that the students must have google accounts. Our district uses Microsoft, so I don’t think assigning students anything with Kami will work for them, at least from what I’ve tried. I would love to have the integration of Kami. It would make assigning and grading so much simpler. I just don’t understand why it is limited to Google accounts.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Shar
Community Champion

Hi Melanie,

Are your students using any of the Canvas mobile apps? If they are, they they can annotate PDF on their tablet devices and then send that PDF to another drive or even submit it in Canvas.

How do I submit a PDF assignment with annotations in the Student app on my iOS device? 

How do I submit a PDF assignment with annotations in the Student app on my Android device? 

I just tried it from my Android phone:

Upload to Canvas an annotated PDF Choose where to upload the annotated PDF

The caveat with mobile device is that the PDF markup & submit works best for 1:1. If multiple students are sharing the same device there's uncertainty of which PDF belongs to which student especially if everyone has downloaded the same document.

Otherwise, you may have to look at options for annotating in the browser with Edge or Chrome.

Let us know what you end up doing,
Cheers - Shar