cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eichb003
Community Member

How do I change the visual design of a Canvas module?

Jump to solution

I'm currently planning my Fall 2018 Canvas course, and I'd like to make use of Modules for my teaching. However, I'm having a conversation with some of my colleagues, and we all seem to have hit a wall with modules in that we find the  the existing module design rather visually dense and not user friendly. Currently, modules don't seem to make use of white space or other design elements to simplify and differentiate elements into clear hierarchy. Since this is a course in technical communication and user experience design, and I'd really like to present students with something that promotes better user experience. For instance, designs like the one here look more elegant, clear, and less crunched together. Is there a way to alter module design, particularly for any users in my cohort who aren't necessarily advanced with CSS?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@eichb003 ,

Simplicity of layout is one of the benefits that a lot of the Canvas users see with Modules.  Users do not have the ability to change colors, font sizes or icons in Modules by design.  The image that you are referencing in your question above is a screen shot of different modules all added to one image, thus the white space and the icons that are different from what you see today.  You can use Text Headings and indentions to add space and hierarchy to different Modules though.  This of the Modules tool as an organizational tool and not really as a design or content creation tool.

Robbie

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@eichb003 ,

Simplicity of layout is one of the benefits that a lot of the Canvas users see with Modules.  Users do not have the ability to change colors, font sizes or icons in Modules by design.  The image that you are referencing in your question above is a screen shot of different modules all added to one image, thus the white space and the icons that are different from what you see today.  You can use Text Headings and indentions to add space and hierarchy to different Modules though.  This of the Modules tool as an organizational tool and not really as a design or content creation tool.

Robbie

View solution in original post

jeremy_lykken
Community Participant

Hi Ryan,

Are you the course instructor? It is possible to modify the appearance of the modules and other components within Canvas using the Theme editor, but you would need to be an administrator and be able to modify the global styles your course is using. Another idea would be to have your school's admin create a sub account for your course where you can adjust the styles as you see fit.