Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laurence_kenned
Community Member

How do I create a module that can be accessed without enrollment?

Jump to solution

My institution has a module which all users will need to access, teachers and students. Not sure how to create a module that users can access if they are not enrolled.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @laurence_kenned 

There are likely several ways this can be done, but here is what we would do..........

In the course:

• Go to the course in which you have created modules (folks are enrolled in courses, not modules),
  • Go to Settings,
  • Scroll down to Visibility and use the drop-down menu to choose either "Institution" or "Public"
  • Scroll all the way down to the very bottom and click "more options",
  • Select "Let students self-enroll by sharing with them a secret URL",
  • Click big blue "Update Course Details" button.

In the Admin Panels:

• Navigate to your account admin area,
  • Go to Settings,
  • Make sure the "Allow Self-Enrollment" option is set to "For Manually-created Courses"

Final Step:

• Post on your school webpage or otherwise distribute the self-enrollment link.

I hope this is at least a bit helpful. Other may contribute alternate solutions.

Kelley

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Laurence,

Simple answer to your question is you can't.  For someone to be able to see a module they have to been enrolled in the course. 

My institution has handled this by creating a Student Resource course and a Faculty Resource course.  We then enroll all students and faculty into their respective courses. 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @laurence_kenned 

There are likely several ways this can be done, but here is what we would do..........

In the course:

• Go to the course in which you have created modules (folks are enrolled in courses, not modules),
  • Go to Settings,
  • Scroll down to Visibility and use the drop-down menu to choose either "Institution" or "Public"
  • Scroll all the way down to the very bottom and click "more options",
  • Select "Let students self-enroll by sharing with them a secret URL",
  • Click big blue "Update Course Details" button.

In the Admin Panels:

• Navigate to your account admin area,
  • Go to Settings,
  • Make sure the "Allow Self-Enrollment" option is set to "For Manually-created Courses"

Final Step:

• Post on your school webpage or otherwise distribute the self-enrollment link.

I hope this is at least a bit helpful. Other may contribute alternate solutions.

Kelley

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @laurence_kenned ...

We do something similar to what  @kmeeusen  has explained in detail.  We have a couple separate course shells designed specifically as resources for our instructors whenever they need to access important information.  For both courses, we set the "Visibility" to "Public".  We don't enroll anyone, however.  Nor do we send out a URL invite.  We simply provide our instructors a link to these two courses in our internal Intranet site and as custom links on our "Help" menu inside of Canvas.  Instructors can go to these links at any time without us needing to manage enrollments.  We don't get the nice time tracking per user, but that's ok for these course shells.  Hope this helps, Laurence.